Russia's Finance Minister Anton Siluanov said that the country's shadow economy
was up to one-fifth the size of its total economic output.
RIA Novosti reported Friday that Russia's gross domestic product is about $1.8 trillion, which would put the shadow economy at $250 billion.
Taken a step further, the shadow economy is responsible for tax avoidance on the order of $90 billion a year.
Siluanov's remarks were broadcast on Echo of Moscow radio, RIA Novosti said.
Most Popular Stories
- Neighbor Warns Chris Brown to Stay Off His Property
- Venezuelan Officials Banned From Traveling in U.S.
- WWE Showing Off Its Muscles
- As Jobs Market Strengthens, Many Don't Feel It
- Target Taps Pepsi Exec as New CEO
- Islamic State Fights for Control of Syrian Oil Wealth
- House Votes to Sue Obama
- Hispanic Arts Leaders Unite Across the Border
- Homeowners More Satisfied With Mortgage Servicers
- Adrienne Bailon Disses Ex-Lover Rob Kardashian