Russia's Finance Minister Anton Siluanov said that the country's shadow economy
was up to one-fifth the size of its total economic output.
RIA Novosti reported Friday that Russia's gross domestic product is about $1.8 trillion, which would put the shadow economy at $250 billion.
Taken a step further, the shadow economy is responsible for tax avoidance on the order of $90 billion a year.
Siluanov's remarks were broadcast on Echo of Moscow radio, RIA Novosti said.
Most Popular Stories
- Prosecutor to Investigate Walmart Police Shooting
- GM to Announce New Jobs in Tennessee
- Smith & Wesson Misses Target
- Emirates Hit Libyan Targets With Airstrikes
- Michael Brown Funeral: Can Americans Change the Script of Violence?
- Mark Sanchez Suddenly a Hot QB Commodity
- American Killed With ISIS Fighters in Syria
- Marco Rubio Warns Obama on Deportations
- Ford Hires 300 at Louisville Lincoln Plant
- Surf's Up! SoCal Prepares for Big Storm Surf