Russia's Finance Minister Anton Siluanov said that the country's shadow economy
was up to one-fifth the size of its total economic output.
RIA Novosti reported Friday that Russia's gross domestic product is about $1.8 trillion, which would put the shadow economy at $250 billion.
Taken a step further, the shadow economy is responsible for tax avoidance on the order of $90 billion a year.
Siluanov's remarks were broadcast on Echo of Moscow radio, RIA Novosti said.
Most Popular Stories
- Frightfully Fun Films Return for Halloween
- Hollywood Eager to Grasp Hispanic Market
- Cloud Lifts Microsoft's Quarterly Results
- Would Soccer Be Richer Without Small Clubs?
- Pfizer Approves $11 Billion Buyback Plan
- IS Funded by Black Market Oil Sales, Racketeering
- Weekly Jobless Claims Rise but Remain Low
- Sears Denies Store Closings, Layoffs Report
- Cape Cod Building Mussel Industry
- Teresa Giudice Must Serve Time in Prison