America's NBC network says it has green-lit an hourlong, animated holiday musical special based on the children's book "How Murray Saved Christmas."
The program was created by four-time Emmy-winning writer and executive producer Mike Reiss, based on Reiss' best-selling book of the same name.
The story is about how cranky deli owner Murray Kleiner is forced to fill in for Santa one Christmas and does a weirdly wonderful job, a synopsis said.
"'Murray' is the perfect project to get audiences into the holiday spirit, and Mike's impressive comedic background makes him a great choice to put all the pieces together," NBC Entertainment President Jennifer Salke said in a statement.
The music will be composed by Walter Murphy, who was recently Oscar-nominated for his work on the feature film "Ted." He has won an Emmy for "Family Guy" and was nominated on three other occasions.
No air date or voice cast for "Murray" has been announced.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Steven Sotloff Beheading Video Claimed by Islamic State
- Apple Planning to Launch Mobile Wallet
- Fantasy Football Gambling Industry Facing Increased Legal Scrutiny
- Challenge to Texas Voter ID Begins
- Men Are the Big Winners in the Jobs Recovery
- Durant Spurns Under Armour to Return to Nike
- Netflix Unveils New Way to Share Picks
- Auto Industry Going Back to Bad Habits
- Construction Spending Staged Strong Rebound in July
- Celebrities Vow Revenge on Hackers Who Posted Photos