'Jungle Book' debut
Goodman Theatre presents its long-awaited premiere of "The Jungle Book," inspired by Rudyard Kipling's stories and the 1967 Disney animated film. Tony Award-winner Mary Zimmerman adapted and directs the show, with music direction by Jeff Award winner Greg Peck and a score by Academy Award-winner Richard M. Sherman that combines swing with Indian music and includes such film favorites as "Bare Necessities" and "Trust in Me."
Previews begin at 8 p.m. Friday, June 21, at 170 N. Dearborn St., Chicago. The show opens Monday, July 1. $34-$105. (312) 443-3800 or .
There's no reason to fear Shakespeare, not with The Eclectic Theater Company dispensing the wit and wisdom of the Bard's 37 plays in less than two hours in "The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged)." The company brings this condensed version of the Bard's comedies, tragedies and histories, as well as his pesky problem plays, to the Metropolis Performing Arts Centre as part of a comedy series showcasing performers and companies from throughout the Chicago area.
Performances begin at 8 p.m. Thursday, June 27, at 111 W. Campbell St., Arlington Heights. $30. (847) 577-2121 or .
Various Chicago-area parks, including Lisle's Morton Arboretum, stand in for the French countryside when Theatre-Hikes presents its production of Ken Ludwig's "The Three Musketeers" based on Alexandre Dumas' 19th century swashbuckler. Bradley Baker directs, with fight choreography by Greg Poljacik.
Opens at 1 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, June 22-23, at the North Park Village Nature Center, 5801 N. Pulaski, Chicago; free. (312) 744-5472. 1 p.m. July 6-28, at the Morton Arboretum, 4100 Route 53, Lisle; $13-$19. (630) 735-2066. 1 p.m. Aug. 3-4 at the Pullman State Historic Site, 11111 S. Forestdale Ave., Chicago. $7.50/$15. See
-- Barbara Vitello
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Florida Warns Beach-goers About Flesh-eating Bacteria
- Sutherland Responds to 'Unprofessional' Jibe
- Islamic State Fights for Control of Syrian Oil Wealth
- LivePro Is a Mobile Hot Spot, Projector in One
- How to Fit Green Energy Into Your Portfolio
- Adrienne Bailon Disses Ex-Lover Rob Kardashian
- Sanctions Will Hit Russia Hard if Not Lifted Quickly
- U.S. Economy Grows at Fastest Pace in 10 Years
- Jerry Brown Favors More Shelters for Immigrant Kids
- Business Leaders Set for CHCC Convention