OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwired) -- 06/20/13 -- In celebration of National Aboriginal Day, His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General of Canada, will attend the Summer Solstice Aboriginal Arts Festival's Education Day Event, on Friday, June 21, 2013, from 10:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., at Vincent Massey Park, in Ottawa. His Excellency will deliver brief remarks at 12:10 p.m.
On this occasion, the Governor General will participate in some of the workshops with students and teachers attending the event. He will first visit the Native Women's Association of Canada pavilion to learn more about the organization, and then proceed to the artisan pavilion, where he will view ancient art demonstrations and create stencil art with students. His Excellency will then announce the start of the 20-pound sack-carry race, a traditional Metis game.
The Governor General will have the opportunity to see a portion of a performance by the Kehewin Native Dance Theatre entitled "Stories from Mother Earth." At that time, His Excellency will join students in a shared dance of friendship.
About the Education Day Event
Organized by the National Aboriginal Day Committee of Ottawa, the Education Day Event will invite over 3 500 students and teachers from the National Capital Region to take part in interactive workshops to celebrate the diverse Aboriginal cultures of Canada. For more information on the festival, please visit www.nadottawa.wordpress.com.
Follow GGDavidJohnston and RideauHall on Facebook and Twitter
Rideau Hall Press Office
Most Popular Stories
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- Taco Bell Rings Up Breakfast Menu
- California Establishes Center for Coffee Study
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- For Obama, a Last Stab at Improving Ties with Capitol Hill
- Sunday Starts Daylight Saving Time
- 'Holy grail of guitars' OM-45 Deluxe Available in in NY Auction