PARIS, FRANCE -- (Marketwired) -- 06/19/13 -- The National Research Council of Canada (NRC) announced a two-year collaborative research agreement with the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA), Japan's national aerospace institution, to carry out widespread fatigue damage assessment for the JAXA curved fuselage panel tests.
Tests on the curved fuselage panel are a cost-effective way to study widespread damage of an aircraft's main pressurized structure, which holds crew and passengers or cargo. These tests will help to establish WFD evaluation technology to maintain the structural integrity of new and aging civilian aircrafts, ultimately improving air travel safety.
"Recently, the National Research Council of Canada's widespread fatigue damage assessment tools were successfully applied to assess aircraft service life of the Royal Canadian Air Force transport airplanes," said John R. McDougall, President of the National Research Council of Canada. "NRC's research progress and expertise on in-service applications will assist JAXA's efforts on evaluating extensive fatigue damage on fuselage panels."
Widespread fatigue damage assessments include life estimation on crack formation and/or fatigue damage onset, as well as multiple fatigue damage crack growth analysis of neighbouring cracks. Also included in this project is the calibration and validation of NRC tools for widespread fatigue damage evaluation of existing and new aircraft design.
The National Research Council of Canada has carried out extensive research on widespread fatigue damage including damage tool development. A series of structural integrity assessment tools have also been developed to analyze the durability and damage tolerance of various critical locations on aircrafts containing widespread fatigue damage.
More about our Aerospace research and development expertise at: www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/eng/rd/aerospace/index.html.
Media Relations Team
National Research Council of Canada
1-855-282-1637 (24/7) (in Canada)
1-613-991-1431 (elsewhere in North America)
email@example.com / Twitter: @NRC_CNRC
Most Popular Stories
- Fantasy Football Gambling Industry Facing Increased Legal Scrutiny
- Obama Promoting Economic Gains As Elections Near
- NATO Plans High-Readiness Force to Counter Russia
- As States Legalize Pot, Will Traffic Deaths Rise?
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Conquers the North American Box Office with $16.3M
- GE Capital and Petters-Related Fund in Legal Battle
- California Conservation Conundrum: Water Use Varies Greatly Across State
- Combating Online Abuse Not Easy for Gamers
- Even With Surly 2014 Electorate, It's 'Still an Incumbent's World'
- Feds Want Nuclear Waste Train, but Nowhere to Go