June 18--NORMAN -- Tickets are on sale for Sooner Theatre's production of "Seussical the Musical -- Theater for Young Audiences," a special edition of the Broadway show written for young audiences.
The musical is one of two productions starring summer production camp participants and will be presented at 7:30 p.m. June 26-29, with 2 p.m. matinee performances June 27-30 at Sooner Theatre, 101 E Main St.
The cast of 63 includes students entering grades 3 through 7 who were selected to perform in the camp. Participants rehearse four hours a day each weekday for three and a half weeks.
Cast members are primarily from Norman, Moore and the south Oklahoma City area.
The production brings to life favorite Dr. Seuss characters, including Horton the Elephant, Gertrude McFuzz, lazy Mayzie and Jojo, a little boy with a big imagination. Certain plot elements have been simplified for the Theater for Young Audiences version of the Broadway hit.
"This production is probably the most vocally challenging show we will do with this age cast," said Executive Director Jennifer Baker. "It is primarily a song and dance show with a little dialogue in places, so the pacing is fast, and these campers are troupers about tackling the advanced material."
The young performers work with professional set and lighting designers, sound engineers and costumers to produce a professional-level production, Baker said.
Tickets are $10. Group rates are available. To order tickets, call 321-9600 or go to www.soonertheatre.com. Tickets also can be purchased at the box office or at the door.
(c)2013 The Oklahoman
Visit The Oklahoman at www.newsok.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Small-Business Loans Fueling Economic Growth
- Gasoline Costs Drive Consumer Price Increases
- Tesco Head Steps Down After Profit Warning
- Illegal Immigration Near Historic Low, Despite What You May Have Heard
- Want a Job? Try Minneapolis
- Comic-Con Offers Toy Designers a Chance to Go Wild
- Russians Fed Steady Diet of Conspiracy Theories
- Google Chrome Bug Draining Batteries: Report
- Saudi Arabia Will Open Stock Market to Foreigners
- Startup Makes It Easier to Buy American