OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwired) -- 06/18/13 -- His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General and Commander-in-Chief of Canada, invites the public to join him for the annual Inspection of the Ceremonial Guard, on Thursday, June 20, 2013, at 10 a.m., on the grounds of Rideau Hall. Following the inspection, the Governor General will address the Guard.
Over the course of the summer, visitors can witness the pageantry, precision and colour of the Relief of the Sentries, which runs from June 24 to August 24, every hour, on the hour, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sentries, led by a piper, march to their posts in front of the residence and at Sussex Gate.
About the Ceremonial Guard
The Ceremonial Guard is a unit of the Canadian Forces that performs a variety of public duties in Ottawa between late June and the end of August. In addition to sentry duty at Rideau Hall, they perform the Changing of the Guard ceremony on Parliament Hill each day at 10 a.m., and fulfill sentry duties at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, located at the National War Memorial, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. When required, the Ceremonial Guard mounts guards of honour for visiting dignitaries. The Band of the Ceremonial Guard is the largest in the Canadian Forces; outside of public duties, they perform in public concerts and at military functions and other ceremonies throughout the National Capital Region.
Media covering this event should arrive at the front facade of Rideau Hall no later than 9:45 a.m.
In the event of inclement weather, the decision to cancel the inspection will be made at 8:00 a.m. on June 20, 2013.
Follow GGDavidJohnston and RideauHall on Facebook and Twitter.
Rideau Hall Press Office
Most Popular Stories
- Why the Bond Market Isn't as Safe as You Think
- Lexus Luxury Compact Sedan Wins Buyers
- Review: Pay by Phone or Just Keep Using Plastic?
- Royals Beat A's in 12-inning Wild Card Thriller
- Dallas Parents Fear Students Exposed to Ebola
- What to Look for in Mich. Jobs Market
- Construction Spending Down Again for August
- Obama Seeks Traction From Economic Recovery
- Pickup Discounts Boost September Auto Sales
- N.Y. Ups Awards of State Contracts to Minorities