June 18--Hopkins will kick off its summer Music in the Park series Thursday with a march through downtown by the First John Philip Sousa Memorial Band. The march will begin at 6:15 p.m. beneath the clock tower at 9th Avenue and Main Street.
The band will stop and play its Revolutionary War-style music with drums and fifes at various locations throughout downtown before returning to Downtown Park for the start of the 7 p.m. concert.
Eight additional concerts will follow this summer, and every concert will be at 7 p.m. on a Thursday in Downtown Park, except for a special noon concert July 18 by the Somewhat Dixieland Band. The bands playing will cover a wide variety of music. For a complete schedule and band list, go to www.hopkinsmn.com/events/music-in-the-park.php.
The concerts are free, sponsored by the Hopkins Business and Civic Association. Volunteers from the Hopkins Activity Center will sell raspberry sundaes at the events.
(c)2013 the Star Tribune (Minneapolis)
Visit the Star Tribune (Minneapolis) at www.startribune.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- U.S. Families 'Extraordinarily Vulnerable': Yellen
- Hillary Clinton to Address CHCI Conference
- Larry Ellison Steps Down as Oracle CEO
- Alibaba Prices IPO at $68 a Share
- Apple Locks Itself Out of Devices
- Veterans to Get Training as Solar Panel Installers
- Hispanics Doubt Marco Rubio's Chances
- Wildfires Rage in California
- John Cantlie Delivers ISIS Message to Save Life
- Alibaba: Today China, Tomorrow the World