IT WAS a case of arise Sir Baldrick today as Blackadder actor Tony Robinson received a knighthood.
Robinson, who starred as dimwit Baldrick in the hit 1980s BBC comedy, was honoured for his public and political service.
And the Timeteam presenter trumped his former co-star Rowan Atkinson, who was made CBE for his services to drama and charity.
Truck firm boss and former Dragon's Den star Hilary Devey, who lived in a wing of Rangemore Hall in Staffordshire, was made CBE for her services to the transport industry and charity.
Sculptor Anish Kapoor, former TUC boss Brendan Barber and genetic scientist Prof Mike Stratton were among others knighted.
Skyfall singer Adele added another award to her collection as she was made MBE.
Golfer Paul Lawrie, the 1999 Open winner, was made OBE along with sports presenter Clare Balding.
The OBE was also given to Wendy Parry, whose 12-year-old son Tim was killed alongside three-yearold Johnathan Ball in the Warrington bomb blasts on March 20, 1993.
MBEs went to singer and broadcaster Aled Jones and singer- songwriter PJ Harvey, as well as comedian Rob Brydon, actor, director and playwright David Haig, and author Joanne Harris.
(c) 2013 Evening Mail; Birmingham (UK). Provided by ProQuest LLC. All rights Reserved.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Plugs ACA on Zach Galifianakis Show
- Rand Paul Takes Pot Shot at Ted Cruz
- Senate Dems Pull All-Nighter on Global Warming
- 'The Bachelor' Juan Pablo Picks His Love
- Software Writers Sought in Indiana
- Miley Cyrus Performs in Undies After Costume Goes Missing
- Why New Workers Can't Get Ahead
- U.S. Stocks Lackluster in Morning Trades
- FBI Helping Ukraine Recover Stolen Billions
- Dianne Feinstein Accuses CIA of Spying on Congress