Military aid to either of the warring sides in
Syria would hamper the search for a political solution to the
conflict, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said on Friday after the
United States said it would arm the rebels.
"The UN and myself have made it consistently clear that providing arms to either side will not address the situation in Syria," Ban told reporters.
He called any such military aid "not helpful."
Ban said the United States has informed him that it had evidence that the Syrian government had used chemical weapons.
Most Popular Stories
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- Illinois Issues Fracking Rules
- Detroit Muslim Conference Stirs Controversy
- 'Longmire' Cancelled, Looks for New Network
- Startups Offer Smartphone Banking Apps
- Clippers Deal Started With 2 Numbers
- Hip-Hop Takes Up Ferguson Cause
- Echeveste Steps Down, Perez Steps Up at VPE
- Immigration Delay Throws Both Parties a Curve
- Canada, Russia Go to War (on Twitter)