Military aid to either of the warring sides in
Syria would hamper the search for a political solution to the
conflict, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said on Friday after the
United States said it would arm the rebels.
"The UN and myself have made it consistently clear that providing arms to either side will not address the situation in Syria," Ban told reporters.
He called any such military aid "not helpful."
Ban said the United States has informed him that it had evidence that the Syrian government had used chemical weapons.
Most Popular Stories
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- Swiss Suicide Tourism Doubled Since 2009
- Florida's Largest Insurer Says 'Bailout' Attacks Unfair
- Wealth Gap Widened in Past Decade: Census
- James Foley Beheading Sparks Anger, Little Action
- Gap Reports Higher Profits, India Plans
- International Revulsion Grows Over James Foley Death
- Beyonce, Jay-Z Cuba Trip Was Legal After All
- Sears Holdings Loses $573 Million
- Chinese Stock Funds Are a Late-summer Bloomer