Military aid to either of the warring sides in
Syria would hamper the search for a political solution to the
conflict, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said on Friday after the
United States said it would arm the rebels.
"The UN and myself have made it consistently clear that providing arms to either side will not address the situation in Syria," Ban told reporters.
He called any such military aid "not helpful."
Ban said the United States has informed him that it had evidence that the Syrian government had used chemical weapons.
Most Popular Stories
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- GE Capital and Petters-Related Fund in Legal Battle
- California Conservation Conundrum: Water Use Varies Greatly Across State
- Even With Surly 2014 Electorate, It's 'Still an Incumbent's World'
- Combating Online Abuse Not Easy for Gamers
- Detroit Raced Toward this Week's Bankruptcy Trial
- Feds Want Nuclear Waste Train, but Nowhere to Go
- New Hershey's Logo Revealed
- Obama on Labor Day: Don't Take Rights for Granted
- Nintendo Launching 'Amiibo' Toy-game Franchise