OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwired) -- 06/14/13 -- Canada's Research-Based Pharmaceutical Companies (Rx&D) supports the Government of Canada's announcement today on the launch of the Plain Language Labelling Initiative, which aims to improve the safe use of medicines by making labels and safety information easier to understand. As it stands, manufacturers present information on labels and other materials according to Health Canada rules. Health Canada reviews and approves these labels.
"As we indicated to the Government earlier this year, we fully support the need to have federally approved, up to date accessible information for patients that is clearly understandable, and we applaud Health Canada's efforts on the matter," said Russell Williams, President, Rx&D. "Patient safety is a priority for our members. We will continue to work with Health Canada to ensure innovative medicines and vaccines are used safely and appropriately."
Rx&D, its members and partners promote the safe and appropriate use of medicines through a number of initiatives, including:
- The Knowledge is the best Medicine program, which seeks to educate Canadians on the safe and appropriate use of medicines and vaccines; and
- The creation of the MyMedRec app, which allows patients and caregivers to have their medication and immunization record at their fingertips. It includes features such as refill and dose reminders, storing of medication histories and, multiple patient profiles, email and picture capabilities, as well as contact information of prescribers and pharmacies.
"The entire health care community-pharmaceutical companies, physicians and other health care professionals, hospitals, patient groups and regulators-has a common interest in getting the best information into the hands of physicians and Canadians," added Mr. Williams. "We hope that the Government will see the modernization of these regulations as an opportunity to address challenges related to international harmonization of the type of information that is provided to patients, as well as plan for electronic delivery of information."
Rx&D is the association of leading research-based pharmaceutical companies dedicated to improving the health of Canadians through the discovery and development of new medicines and vaccines. Our community represents the men and women working for more than 50 member companies which invest more than $1 billion in research and development each year to fuel Canada's knowledge-based economy, contributing over $3 billion to the Canadian economy. Guided by our Code of Ethical Practices, our membership is committed to working in partnership with governments, private payers, healthcare professionals and stakeholders in a highly ethical manner.
Add to Digg Bookmark with del.icio.us Add to Newsvine
613-236-0455 (extension 831)
Most Popular Stories
- Steven Sotloff Beheading Video Claimed by Islamic State
- Men Are the Big Winners in the Jobs Recovery
- Apple Planning to Launch Mobile Wallet
- California Hispanic Chamber Picks New Chair
- Challenge to Texas Voter ID Begins
- U.S. Drones Hit al-Shabab in Somalia
- Ford Is Finding Success With Its 'Unminivan'
- Durant Spurns Under Armour to Return to Nike
- Auto Industry Going Back to Bad Habits
- Health Care Hiring Up, Wages Down