BrightSide Theatre concludes its second season with Jonathan Larson's Pulitzer Prize-winning musical "Rent," about a group of aspiring musicians and artists struggling to sustain relationships, make a living and cope with the specter of HIV/AIDS in late 1980s New York City. Artistic director Jeffrey Cass, former producing director of Circle Theatre, directs.
Performances begin at 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday, June 14-15, and 3 p.m. Sunday, June 16, at Meiley-Swallow Hall, North Central College, 31 S. Ellsworth, Naperville. $20, $24. (630) 637-7469 or .
Dubbing its 19th-century Appalachia-inspired production of "Cymbeline" a folk tale with music, First Folio Theatre pairs Shakespeare's tale of a young woman who flees her father's kingdom and her evil stepmother after she's accused of betraying her lover with original bluegrass music by co-founder David Rice and resident composer Michael Keefe.
Previews begin at 8:15 p.m. Wednesday, June 19, at the Mayslake Peabody Estate, 1717 W. 31st St., Oak Brook. The show opens June 22. $22-$37. (630) 986-8067 or .
Arlington Heights playwright Keith Huff lampoons Chicago in "Big Lake Big City," a contemporary crime noir drama about a Chicago detective dealing with a cheating wife, disapproving boss and a doltish partner all while chasing a suspect with a screwdriver in his head. Lookingglass Theatre Company co-founder David Schwimmer directs the production, which concludes the company's 25th anniversary season.
Previews begin at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, June 19, at Water Tower Water Works, 821 N. Michigan Ave., Chicago. The show opens June 29. $28-$70. (312) 337-0665 or .
-- Barbara Vitello
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- 2014 Will Be 'Breakthrough Year' for U.S., Obama Says
- Renewable Energy Group to Acquire Syntroleum
- Climate Change Isn't an Equal Opportunity Destroyer
- Ally Financial Settles Auto Loan Suit
- Kanye, Kardashians and Other Kooks: A Wacky, Tacky, Entertaining Year
- Covered California Lags on Hispanic Enrollment
- Luis Suarez Re-ups With Liverpool F.C.
- Little Risk of Deportation Under Obama
- Gay Athletes Part of U.S. Sochi Group
- Chris Christie Set to Sign Tuition Aid Bill