TORONTO, ONTARIO -- (Marketwired) -- 06/13/13 -- Cineplex Inc. (TSX: CGX) -
Attention dads across Canada: New research shows your daughters dread the thought of bringing a Hollywood heartthrob like Johnny Depp home to meet you this Father's Day. No word on whether this will stop them from doing it.
Asked by Cineplex to select from a list of Hollywood's leading men, nearly one-third (30 per cent) of Canadian women named Depp the actor they'd be most worried about bringing home to meet dad on his special day. Tom Cruise (19 per cent) and Colin Farrell (16 per cent) round out the top three.
Meanwhile, dad isn't concerned about Captain Jack Sparrow coming to dinner; he's worried about who's waiting in the wings to take his place this Sunday. Asked to select from a list of animated characters their children would most like to replace them this Father's Day, more than one-third (34 per cent) of Canadian fathers chose Shrek, followed by Bob Parr from The Incredibles (21 per cent) and Mufasa from The Lion King (16 per cent).
"It's shaping up to be a tough Father's Day for Canadian men," said Pat Marshall, Vice President, Communications and Investor Relations, Cineplex Entertainment. "From one of Hollywood's leading heartthrobs to a big, green ogre - this may not be the picture of rest and relaxation fathers anticipated."
The findings are part of Cineplex Entertainment's regular movie-going survey, conducted by Ipsos Reid. The survey provides fun facts and figures about Canadians' relationships with the movies.
Sons and daughters looking to soothe dad's ruffled feathers should consider one of three great Father's Day offers from Cineplex:
- Cineplex Father's Day Gift Pack - Purchase a gift card with a value of $30.00 or more and receive a father's day gift pack worth more than $30.00. The gift pack includes a two-for-one admission ticket (includes 3D and UltraAVX movies), one free small popcorn, a $1 digital movie rental at CineplexStore.com (offer not valid in Quebec), a free admission to a Cineplex Family Favourites movie, and 150 SCENE points. Visit Cineplex.com/giftpack for more information. This is a limited time offer, while supplies last.
- Free UltraAVX movie pass, or 1,000 SCENE points - Visit CineplexStore.com to buy or rent this season's hottest new releases or old classics in digital, Blu-ray and DVD. Buy any movie or TV series for dad and receive a free UltraAVX movie pass, or 1,000 SCENE points. Visit CineplexStore.com for more information. This offer ends June 30, 2013.
- Take dad to the movies this weekend - Looking for something fun to do with dad? Why not check out one of the great summer blockbusters now playing in Cineplex theatres? Visit Cineplex.com for showtimes and movie tickets.
UltraAVX provides guests with the sharpest picture, a powerful digital surround sound system and reserved seating, delivering a truly immersive movie-going experience. UltraAVX features wall-to-wall screens that are significantly larger on average than our traditional screens. Christie Solaria Series 4230 DLP Cinema® projectors provide an ultra high definition presentation, projecting super bright, crystal clear images onto the big screen.
The system is further enhanced with the addition of RealD 3D technology, enabling the presentation of the latest 3D movies. Complementing the stunning on-screen picture from these new 4K projectors is a superb Dolby® Atmos surround sound system that envelops the audience and takes the cinema experience to a whole new level. Guests will enjoy the super comfy high-back rocker seats. Because all seats are reserved, guests can select the specific seat(s) they want in the auditorium when they purchase their tickets.
Cineplex Inc. ("Cineplex") is one of Canada's leading entertainment companies and operates one of the most modern and fully digitized motion picture theatre circuits in the world. A top-tier Canadian brand, Cineplex operates numerous businesses including theatrical exhibition, food services, gaming, alternative programming (Front Row Centre Events), Cineplex Media, Cineplex Digital Solutions and the online sale of home entertainment content through CineplexStore.com and on apps embedded in various electronic devices. Cineplex is also a joint venture partner in SCENE - Canada's largest entertainment loyalty program.
Cineplex is headquartered in Toronto, Canada, and operates 137 theatres with 1,463 screens from British Columbia to Quebec, serving approximately 71 million guests annually through the following theatre brands: Cineplex Odeon, SilverCity, Galaxy Cinemas, Colossus, Coliseum, Scotiabank Theatres, Cineplex Cinemas, Cineplex VIP Cinemas, Famous Players and Cinema City. Cineplex also owns and operates the UltraAVX, Poptopia, and Outtakes brands. Cineplex trades on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol CGX. More information is available at Cineplex.com.
These are some of the findings from a survey of 2,104 adults from Ipsos Reid's Canadian online panel. Individuals were disqualified if they didn't watch any movies in the course of a month. Weighting was then employed to balance demographics to ensure that the sample's composition reflects that of the adult population according to Census data and to provide results intended to approximate the sample universe. A survey with an unweighted probability sample of this size and a 100% response rate would have an estimated margin of error of +/-2.4 percentage points, 19 times out of 20, of what the results would have been had the entire population of adults in Canada been polled. All sample surveys and polls may be subject to other sources of error, including, but not limited to coverage error, and measurement error.
For information, interviews or photos please contact:
Vice President, Communications and Investor Relations
Most Popular Stories
- Study: Recessions Can Postpone Motherhood Forever
- Tim Cook Has Proved That Apple is His Baby
- Hispanic Entrepreneurs Short-changed in Texas
- China Approves iPhone 6 After Security Assurances
- Meet the YouTube Tech Review Sensation
- U.S. Home Prices Rose at Slowest Pace in 20 Months
- Who Is Daniel Ivascyn?
- Netflix Eyes Hollywood With Feature Film
- Hispanics Carry Big Clout: Census
- Washington's 'The Equalizer' Debuts With $35 Million