TORONTO, ONTARIO -- (Marketwired) -- 06/13/13 -- How to Start in Stand-Up Comedy: A Guide to Becoming a Comedian in Toronto received the gold medal for humour and the silver medal for best design non-fiction at the Next Generation Indie Book Awards held in New York City.
The book is the first and only how-to guide on stand-up comedy written from the Canadian perspective, and provides particular insight into the Toronto stand-up comedy community.
The book was written by comedian Chris MacLean, who lives in Toronto's Entertainment District and performs comedy throughout Ontario and occasionally in the United States.
"I am humbled by the support I have received from both the comedy and book publishing worlds," says Chris MacLean. "To receive two awards for your first book, to have it be the first of its kind, and to have one award be for humour is very special."
"Since I began writing about stand-up comedy many people have told me that I helped them, but now people are telling me that I have inspired them," says Chris MacLean. "Realizing my dreams is helping others realize theirs, and that, to me, is the ultimate human connection."
How to Start in Stand-Up Comedy: A Guide to Becoming a Comedian in Toronto is available at Theatre Books in Toronto, Amazon and other online booksellers. The book was launched at the end of January 2013 and is being featured as part of NXNE 2013.
The Next Generation Indie Book Awards are known as the "Sundance of the book publishing world." The 2013 awards were held on May 29, 2013 at the Harvard Club in New York City.
Most Popular Stories
- Pickup Discounts Boost September Auto Sales
- Dallas Parents Fear Students Exposed to Ebola
- Review: Pay by Phone or Just Keep Using Plastic?
- Kurdish Militia Still Lack Weapons, Training
- N.Y. Ups Awards of State Contracts to Minorities
- Ebola Victim Was Sent Home by Dallas Hospital
- Lexus Luxury Compact Sedan Wins Buyers
- Group Offers Online Help for College Students
- What to Look for in Mich. Jobs Market
- Why the Bond Market Isn't as Safe as You Think