More than 1.6 million people have viewed the trailer for "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" since Hollywood's Warner Bros. studio posted it online Tuesday.
The film is the second installment in writer-director Peter Jackson's three-movie "Lord of the Rings" prequel series.
The 2 minute, 9-second-long "Smaug" trailer shows the return of Ian McKellen, who starred as wizard Gandalf in the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy and last year's "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," as well as McKellen's "Hobbit" co-stars Martin Freeman and Richard Armitage as, respectively, hobbit Bilbo and dwarf king Thorin.
The preview clip also shows an appearance by Orlando Bloom's "Lord of the Rings" archer Legolas and the introduction of "Lost" star Evangeline Lilly's elf character.
Smaug is the name of the giant, red, treasure-guarding dragon the heroes will encounter in the next "Hobbit" movie. Benedict Cumberbatch, Freeman's co-star on the TV series "Sherlock," lends his voice to the fire-breathing monster, which has a cameo at the end of the trailer.
The film is set for release Dec. 13.
Here's the trailer for "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug":
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Homeowners More Satisfied With Mortgage Servicers
- Russia, Ukraine Now Face Off Over Football Clubs
- Law Lets Users Unlock Cellphones
- Motorists Get Rare Summer Break on Gas Prices
- Body Parts Retrieved at MH17 Crash Site
- Obama Vows to Veto House Immigration Bill
- Government Meets Goal for Small-business Contracts
- Reno Gigafactory No Cinch to Land Tesla Plant
- MassMutual Teams Up With ALPFA
- Chrysler U.S. Sales in July Hit 9-Year High