LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM -- (Marketwired) -- 06/12/13 -- Nintendo unleashed a strong list of powerhouse games that will be available for Wii U this year, and provided first looks at key titles coming in 2014. These include some of the videogame industry's most beloved franchises and characters, from Mario and Donkey Kong, to Luigi, Pikmin and Pokemon, to The Legend of Zelda, Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros.
Nintendo President Satoru Iwata introduced many of the games during a Nintendo Direct announcement. To view the Nintendo Direct in its entirety, visit http://www.nintendo.co.uk/nintendodirect.
Some of the key game info announced today by Nintendo includes:
Wii U News
- SUPER MARIO 3D WORLD: For the first time ever, Nintendo has created a four-player Mario game set in a 3D world. The game, developed by the same team that created SUPER MARIO 3D LAND for Nintendo 3DS and the Super Mario Galaxy games for Wii, lets up to four players play as Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach and Toad. Each character has his or her own unique characteristics, and people can play cooperatively or competitively. The new cat transformation turns characters into adorable felines that can scratch enemies and even scamper up the flagpole at the end of levels. Transparent warp pipes add some new puzzle elements to gameplay. The game is scheduled to launch in December 2013.
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze: The first Wii U instalment in the franchise comes from Retro Studios. The side-scrolling platformer has beautiful HD graphics that show fine details, such as Donkey Kong's fur. Dixie Kong joins the adventure, which features the Kongs swimming underwater and moving from the foreground to the background. This time, the camera changes perspective on certain levels to enhance the sense of motion and deliver new experiences. The game is scheduled to launch towards the end of this year.
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD: The classic Nintendo GameCube game has been enhanced with beautiful HD 1080p graphics. In one change from the original, the Tingle Tuner has been replaced by the Tingle Bottle, which uses the Wii U GamePad controller to post comments about the game to Miiverse. Comments from players wash up on the shores of beaches in the game. Players also have the option to sail faster than they did in the original version. The game is scheduled to launch in October 2013.
- Mario Kart 8: The newest instalment of the gold-standard racing game introduces an anti-gravity feature that has karts racing up walls and clinging to inverted tracks. Elements from previous Mario Kart games have made their return, including gliders and motorbikes. The game is scheduled to launch in spring 2014.
- The Wonderful 101: This PlatinumGames original launches 23rd August. Players take on the role of Wonder-Red, leader of a group of superheroes. Individually they are overpowered by invaders from space. But by working together, they can transform into a fist or blade and unleash massive attacks on their enemy. The polished, over-the-top look and music evoke classic superhero comics and cartoons.
Most Popular Stories
- Updates on Everglades' Stranded Pilot Whales
- NSA Tracks 5 Billion Cellphone Records a Day
- Hezbollah Chief's Assassination Claimed by Sunni Group
- Stolen Cobalt-60 Recovered in Mexico
- Ford Mustang Still Packs Power
- Wind Power and Wildlife Can Coexist
- Allstate Seeks to Invest in Minority Firms
- Sarmiento to Handle Greeley Latin Ops
- First-time Jobless Claims Drop Below 300,000
- White House Pushes to Extend Unemployment Benefits