A monument dedicated to an ancestor of first lady Michelle Obama was pushed off
its foundation block by vandals, authorities in the town of Rex, Ga. said.
Resident Vicki Smith told WSB-TV, Atlanta, that when she first saw what had been done to the monument she "shed a few tears."
Smith helped get a monument to Melvinia Shields, the great-great-great grandmother of Michelle Obama, to the Clayton County community.
Shields was born into slavery in 1844 and later moved to Georgia.
Clayton County Commissioner Sonna Singleton said the monument company will have to lift the heavy stone to check for cracks and place it back on its foundation.
Most Popular Stories
- Prosecutor to Investigate Walmart Police Shooting
- GM to Announce New Jobs in Tennessee
- Emirates Hit Libyan Targets With Airstrikes
- Michael Brown Funeral: Can Americans Change the Script of Violence?
- Smith & Wesson Misses Target
- American Killed With ISIS Fighters in Syria
- Marco Rubio Warns Obama on Deportations
- Hamas Claims Gaza Ceasefire as Victory Over Israel
- Surf's Up! SoCal Prepares for Big Storm Surf
- Ford Hires 300 at Louisville Lincoln Plant