June 11--The offbeat 2007 movie "Waitress" is getting a musical makeover courtesy of pop star Sara Bareilles and the producers of the Tony Award-winning musical revival 'Pippin.'
Just off their win Sunday, Barry and Fran Weissler announced that they plan to mount the musical with some Broadway heavyweights backstage.
"Pippin" director Diane Paulus, who also won a Tony, is helming the show, and Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Paula Vogel is writing the script.
The production marks the first musical score for Bareilles, who earned a Grammy nod for her hit "Love Song."
The movie starred Keri Russell ("The Americans") as a Southern waitress trapped in a marriage and job who bakes her way to a happy ending.
(c)2013 the Los Angeles Times
Visit the Los Angeles Times at www.latimes.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder