June 11--The offbeat 2007 movie "Waitress" is getting a musical makeover courtesy of pop star Sara Bareilles and the producers of the Tony Award-winning musical revival 'Pippin.'
Just off their win Sunday, Barry and Fran Weissler announced that they plan to mount the musical with some Broadway heavyweights backstage.
"Pippin" director Diane Paulus, who also won a Tony, is helming the show, and Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Paula Vogel is writing the script.
The production marks the first musical score for Bareilles, who earned a Grammy nod for her hit "Love Song."
The movie starred Keri Russell ("The Americans") as a Southern waitress trapped in a marriage and job who bakes her way to a happy ending.
(c)2013 the Los Angeles Times
Visit the Los Angeles Times at www.latimes.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Bipartisan Budget Deal Gets Key Support in House
- TFA Recruiting DACA Recipients
- Bitcoin Clones Lurch Onto Financial Scene
- Scotch Whisky Sales Raise Distillers' Spirits
- Clinton to Keynote Annual Simmons Leadership Conference
- Holiday Shopping Off to a Slow Start This Season
- Health Coverage Disparities Emerge Among States
- Podesta Likely to Reject Keystone XL
- Fake Deaf Interpreter Was Hallucinating, Has Schizophrenia
- Tea Party Glum in Face of Bipartisan Budget Deal