A foreclosure bill emerged from Florida's legislature and found its way
to the governor's desk. The new law expedites foreclosures on abandoned
properties and reduces the window of time for lender to obtain a deficiency
Florida Gov. Rick Scott was busy on Friday, signing 34 state bills into law -- including a bill known as HB 87.
HB 87 relates to residential foreclosures in the Sunshine State -- where more foreclosures were filed and completed than any other state during May, according to statistics provided by RealtyTrac.
Calling the state's housing market "important to our economy's continuous recovery," Scott said in a transmittal letter that the new law will move abandoned homes onto the market while enabling distressed borrower to move forward with financial recovery and re-establishing their credit.
HB 87 expedites an existing voluntary alternative court process for defaulted mortgages in uncontested cases where both the borrower and the lender seek to quickly resolve the loan.
The bill reduces the amount of time that a mortgage servicer has to file a deficiency judgment. In addition, lenders will be required to certify that they possess the note before filing a civil action.
The governor said that third-party purchasers of foreclosed homes are protected by the bill.
Mortgage servicers face more resistance from Florida judges and appellate courts than other states, with borrowers often moving forward in trial cases or obtaining reversals of decisions in favor of lenders on appeal.
Most Popular Stories
- Apple Wants Samsung to Pay $22M for Patent Dispute Legal Bills
- NASA Fellowships, Scholarships Bring Diversity to Workforce
- Twitter Coming to Phones Without Internet
- Dish Network Leads 2013 Top 50 Advertisers List
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Jobs Report Brings Cheer As Unemployment Drops to Five-year Low
- Starbucks Gets Grinchy; No Gingerbread Lattes for Tampa Customers
- Entravision Initiates Quarterly Cash Dividend
- Warner Bros. Unleashes 'Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug' Merchandise