By CATHERINE MCCURRY
SWARMS of talented teens have been battling it out for a coveted spot in an upcoming production of Fame The Musical.
They descended on the unusual venue of Belfast City Airport as they sang, acted and danced their way to potential stage and screen success.
With 60 spots waiting to be snapped up, hundreds of ambitious young stars-in-waiting donned their best stage smiles for the auditions while surprised passengers were treated to an unexpected array of performances.
Fame The Musical will be produced by local arts charity Music Theatre 4 Youth (MT4Uth) and will be staged at the T13 Shared Cultural Space in the Titanic Quarter of Belfast in August.
Phil Willmott, a multi-award winning director, flew to Northern Ireland to select the lucky cast. He commended the "volume and degree of talent" he saw over the weekend.
"There was a great turn-out to the auditions, and I would like to take this opportunity to thank and congratulate each and every individual who attended.
"The volume and degree of talent we have seen over the last few days has been extraordinary.
"The young people we met on Saturday and Sunday have varying levels of experience. "I think it is fantastic that through MT4Uth, these kids have been given a fair opportunity to access the stage and indeed musical theatre." The nail-biting wait for the cast to be announced has begun.
The full cast -- which will include lead characters Carmen Diaz, Mabel Washington and Serena Katz -- will be announced in the coming weeks.
Originally published by BY CATHERINE MCCURRY.
(c) 2013 Belfast Telegraph. Provided by ProQuest LLC. All rights Reserved.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- Iran Denounces U.S. Ruling to Sell Property
- Nevada Range Showdown Draws Armed Supporters
- Report: Iran VP Says Row Over Reactor Resolved
- NASA's Space Station Robonaut Finally Getting Legs
- Confusion, Anger as Sunken Ferry's Relatives Wait
- Ohio Couple Married 70 Years, Die 15 Hours Apart
- Putin: No Blocks to Boosting Relations With West
- Fiat Chrysler to Build 3 Jeeps in China
- Hawaii is Genetically Engineered Crop Flash Point