Superman is turning 75! The iconic character is widely considered the first superhero -- though fans of certain pulp characters may quibble regarding those semantics -- and his popularity has inspired a legion of fans through radio, television, movies, and, of course, comic books. Superman was created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, friends from Cleveland, Ohio, in 1933, but the character first appeared in Action Comics #1, published by DC Comics in April of 1938 (with a June 1938 cover date).
Warner Bros. Entertainment and DC Entertainment have outlined their plans for Clark Kent's alter-ego during this momentous year. Superman is of course returning to the big screen this year with "Man of Steel," which will star Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon, Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner, and Diane Lane, and is being directed by Zack Snyder. (See "Man of Steel" trailer below)
Other items in Superman's 75th anniversary lineup include:
-- "Injustice: Gods Among Us," The recently released video game, available on Xbox, Playstation and more, which was produced by the folks that brought you the "Mortal Kombat" series.
-- "Superman: Unbound," an animated original movie pitting Superman against Brainiac, was released on May 7.
-- "Infinite Crisis," an online game set in the DC Multiverse, features various version of Superman and other characters from multiple realities, debuting this fall.
-- "Superman Unchained," a new comic book series by legendary artist Jim Lee and ultra-hot writer Scott Snyder (American Vampire, Detective Comics), hits the comic shops on June 12.
DC Comics has also pronounced June "Superman Month," and fans can look forward to new content featuring the Man of Steel everyday at DCComics.com
Most Popular Stories
- Dmytro Firtash, Ukrainian Billionaire, Arrested in Vienna
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Federal Gov't Deficit Continues to Decline
- Venezuela Death Toll Reaches 28
- Russia Holds Large Military Drills in South
- Calumet Photo Files for Bankruptcy
- Navarro Celebrates 2 Years of Vida Mia
- Ukraine Moves Closer to Joining E.U.
- Herbalife Puts Off Meeting for Icahn Talks
- Ukraine Loan Delayed While Congress Goes on Vacation