Britain's Prince Harry on Thursday was to start a
seven-day trip to the United States, his first visit to the country
since he was photographed naked in Las Vegas playing billiards.
The prince is to use the trip to promote the sporting achievements
of wounded soldiers and would include a trip to the Warrior Games, a
Paralympics-style competition.
"Prince Harry wants to highlight once again the extraordinary
commitment and sacrifice of our injured servicemen and -women - our
wounded warriors," a royal spokesman said.
"Although a prince, Harry is also an operational soldier," he
said, adding that the visit was intended "to help recognize and bring
a spotlight onto the work being done to help these outstanding young
men and women."
Harry is to begin the trip in Washington, where he is to visit
Capitol Hill and a photography exhibition put on by the anti-landmine
charity the Halo Trust, with which his mother, Princess Diana, was
involved.
Harry is a patron of the organization and is to be shown around
the exhibition by senator and former presidential candidate John
McCain.
At the weekend, Harry is to attend the opening ceremony of the
Warrior Games in Colorado Springs, where he is to meet competitors
and watch the volleyball and cycling events.
His trip would also take him to New York, where he is to attend a
charity baseball event connected with the Royal Foundation, which he
runs together with his brother and sister-in-law, the Duke and
Duchess of Cambridge.
The prince is to lay a wreath at Arlington National Cemetery, a
military cemetery outside Washington; visit survivors of last year's
Superstorm Sandy; and on his final day take part in a charity polo
match.
The tour is set to show Harry as a responsible and hardworking
royal after the embarrassment caused in August when pictures of him
naked in an 8,000-dollar-a-night hotel room in Las Vegas were
published in the tabloids.
He had "let himself and his family down," he said in January when
he returned from his second tour of service in Afghanistan. The
prince is an Apache helicopter co-pilot gunner.
Harry's visit also comes days after Buckingham Palace said it was
reviewing how much long-haul travel 87-year-old Queen Elizabeth II
would be undertaking in future.
Heir-to-the-throne Prince Charles is set to represent her at a
meeting of Commonwealth leaders in November in Sri Lanka, the first
time in 40 years the queen would miss such a summit.
Most Popular Stories
- Guitar Center Sessions Updates on New Episodes Featuring The Smashing Pumpkins, Goo Goo Dolls, OneRepublic and Talib Kweli
- Daily Trivia Byte
- Cinedigm's Docurama Launches New YouTube Channel
- Stars light up the stage in memory of gentle giant ; REVIEW [Birmingham Mail (UK)]
- Movieline Rolls Out into the Online Video Space
- CELEBRITY BIRTHDAYS [Birmingham Mail (UK)]
- CrowdIt Backs Springfield Area Filmmakers by Offering Complimentary Crowdfunding to Comedy Film Company
- One hot summer
- NBC's fall lineup includes Michael J. Fox, James Spader, 'Dracula'
- Fox, Twitter join in promotional partnership
News-To-Go
Advertisement
Advertisement
News Column
Prince Harry to Pay First Visit Since Naked Billiards Shenanigans
May 9, 2013
Advertisement
Source: Copyright 2013 dpa Deutsche Presse-Agentur GmbH
Story Tools



