May 09--"Fanny by Gaslight," the 1944 British period melodrama, gets a rare screening at 7 p.m. Saturday, courtesy the FOCUS Film Society, at Church in the City, 2648 N. Hackett Ave.
James Mason, Phyllis Calvert and Stewart Granger star.
Tickets are $3.
Student films at UWM
The Student Film & Video Festival, an end-of-semester, juried showcase of short films and videos from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee's Department of Film, hits the screen at 7 p.m. Friday at UWM Union Theatre, 2200 E. Kenwood Blvd.
Also at UWM: Screenings of films by graduating UWM Film Department seniors show at 7 p.m. Thursday and May 17.
Admission to the student film programs is free.
'Labyrinth' at Times
David Bowie and Muppets -- what else do you need? "Labyrinth," Jim Henson's 1986 fantasy epic, is showing at 10:30 a.m. Saturday and Sunday at the Times Theatre, 5906 W. Vliet St.
In the movie, a young Jennifer Connelly plays a teenage girl whose wish sends her baby brother into the hands of the Goblin King (Bowie).
Admission is $4.
'Rockshow' reprise at IPic
There's a "Rockshow," not at the Hollywood Bowl, but at IPic Theatre at Bayshore Town Center, 5800 N. Bayshore Drive, Glendale, on Thursday, when the 1980 Paul McCartney and Wings concert movie makes a return trip to the big screen.
The concert includes more than two dozen songs from the Wings, Beatles and McCartney songbooks, along with a few surprise tracks.
There's a repeat matinee at 2 p.m. May 19.
For info and tickets, go to the IPic website.
- Chris Foran
(c)2013 the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Visit the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel at www.jsonline.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Defends Global Cellphone Tracking Legality
- Top Websites for U.S. Hispanics
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Apple Wants Samsung to Pay $22M for Patent Dispute Legal Bills
- Starbucks Gets Grinchy; No Gingerbread Lattes for Tampa Customers
- Apple Paid Its Lawyers More Than $60MM to Defeat Samsung in Court
- Jobs Report Brings Cheer As Unemployment Drops to Five-year Low
- Economic Bright Spots Not a Sure Boost for President Obama
- US Consumer Borrowing Rose $18.2B in Oct.