Philip Falcone, the Chisholm native who became a billionaire hedge fund
manager with New York-based Harbinger Group Inc. and a 30 percent owner of the
Minnesota Wild Hockey team, has reached an agreement in principle with the
Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) to settle civil fraud charges that he
used fund money to pay his taxes and favored some clients over others.
According to terms of the settlement, which is subject to approval, the firm
would pay penalties of approximately $18 million and Falcone would be banned for
two years from acting as an investment adviser. The two civil actions were
disclosed in a Harbinger filing with the SEC Thursday.
Falcone can still remain as chairman and CEO of the firm but would not be
allowed to perform any management functions at subsidiary companies or make any
recommendations "regarding the purchase or sale of securities'' by the
subsidiary companies.
With Falcone as the CEO, the company would also be limited in its ability to
acquire other entities and during the duration of the ban and the company would
be subject to oversight by an independent monitor, Harbinger said in its filing.
The agreement must be formally approved by a majority of the SEC commissioners.
The SEC had sued Falcone and Harbinger in June.
At that time, Minnesota Wild majority owner Craig Leipold issued a statement
that said the accusations against Falcone "do not affect the Minnesota Wild in
any way."
In 2007, Harbinger bet against bonds that were used to finance risky subprime
mortgages and posted huge gains when the bonds fell in value. But the firm began
to struggle in 2008, and it tightened its rules about when and how much money
investors could withdraw.
The SEC alleged in its lawsuit that from 2006 through early 2008, Falcone
manipulated the market for high-yield, high-risk bonds issued by a company
called Maax Holdings Inc. Using fund money, Falcone bought many of the bonds to
shrink the supply on the market and drive up prices, the SEC asserted.
The SEC also said Falcone and Harbinger secretly gave some key investors in the
fund the right to cash out of their holdings. In exchange, the favored investors
gave Falcone and the fund permission to bar the other investors from being able
to cash out, according to the SEC. It said that arrangement was hidden from
Harbinger's directors.
Last year, the SEC reached a settlement with Harbert Management Corp., a firm
with ties to Harbinger. The SEC said Harbert had the power to control Falcone
and Harbinger but failed to stop the bond manipulation scheme.
Harbert and two related firms agreed to pay a $1 million civil fine. They, too,
neither admitted nor denied wrongdoing.
This story contains material from the Associated Press.
___
(c)2013 Star Tribune (Minneapolis)
Visit the Star Tribune (Minneapolis) at www.startribune.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Tesla Proves EVs Can Be Profitable
- 'Liz & Dick,' 'Cloud Atlas' Among New DVD and Blu-ray Releases
- Hispanics Wanted in STEM Careers
- Repubs Want IRS Probe, Apology
- Economic Forecast Improves for Late 2013
- J.J. Abrams Boldly Going From 'Star Trek' to 'Star Wars'
- Detroit 3 Score High on Auto Quality Survey
- Kindle Fire Customers Get 500 Free Amazon Coins
- Americans Get Along Well, Despite Politicians
- Retail Sales Up in April
News-To-Go
Advertisement
Advertisement
News Column
Falcone Faces 2-year Ban From SEC, $18 Million Fine
May 9, 2013
Patrick Kennedy
Advertisement
For more stories on investments and markets, please see HispanicBusiness' Finance Channel
Source: Copyright Star Tribune (Minneapolis, MN) 2013
Story Tools



