A South Florida doctor was accused Wednesday of aggravated battery on
his girlfriend after an argument last month over a Facebook post.
Orlando Llorente, 41, was charged with one count attempted murder and kidnapping after police say he abused Leeanne Sauma, 36, on April 21, for about 16 hours, water-boarding her continuously until she lost consciousness in their apartment near Southwest 12th Street in the Brickell area.
"He became enraged, grabbed her by the hair, took her into the bathroom, and not only stuck her head inside the toilet, but then put her in the tub and was able to get a rag and stuff it down her mouth," Miami police spokeswoman Kenia Reyes said.
Llorente, a plastic surgeon, dragged her into the bathroom and forced her head in the toilet, and also banged her head on the floor, according to police.
Threatening to kill her, Llorente punched his girlfriend in the face several times after shoving a wet rag into her mouth and covering her nose, police said..
Police did not say what was in the Facebook post to set off the attack.
Llorente's attorney Marcos Beaton issued a statement to Miami Herald news partner CBS4:
"Dr. Llorente voluntarily surrendered to authorities ... and is resolute on clearing his name," Beaton wrote. "He reached out to law enforcement, through his lawyers, when these false allegations surfaced. We are disappointed that our requests for more time in which to present a thorough and thoughtful examination into the source of the allegations and the facts surrounding them was declined."
Sauma suffered minor injuries and promised Llorente she wouldn't tell anyone what happened so that he would let her go, police said.
(c)2013 The Miami Herald
Visit The Miami Herald at www.miamiherald.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Major Phone Makers Sign Anti-Phone-Theft Pledge
- College Board Offers a Sneak Peak at New SAT
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text
- Salsa Legend Cheo Feliciano Killed in Car Crash
- Earthlike Planet Found in Red Dwarf's Goldilocks Zone
- Hiring and Weekly Jobless Claims Both Edge Up
- New Auto Plant to Create 155 Jobs in Kentucky
- Miss. Gov. Signs Bills to Curb Unions
- Generating Solar Power in the Dark
- Twitter Offers App Install Ads