Pope Francis told a group of nuns Wednesday gathered in St. Peter's Square that
they should embrace their maternal side and be mothers, attendees said.
"Chastity should be fertile, it generates spiritual children," he told 800 nuns from numerous religious orders. "Motherhood is sacred ... you must be mothers and not old maids."
Francis has emphasized the role of women in the church since he became pope in March, ANSA reported.
But he has also criticized U.S. nuns who have deviated from Catholic doctrine by promoting what he has referred to as radical feminist themes.
Most Popular Stories
- 15 Myths That Could Ruin Your Hispanic Ad Campaign
- Bitcoin Clones Lurch Onto Financial Scene
- General Motors Names Mary Barra as First Female CEO
- Clinton to Keynote Annual Simmons Leadership Conference
- AIG to Create 230 Jobs in Charlotte
- How Bitcoin and Other Cryptocurrencies Work
- Californians Want to Legalize Marijuana
- Selena Gomez, Shakira Among Top Hispanic Searches
- Pacific Trade Pact Delay Hinders U.S. Pivot to Asia
- PhD Project Grooms Business Profs