Pope Francis told a group of nuns Wednesday gathered in St. Peter's Square that
they should embrace their maternal side and be mothers, attendees said.
"Chastity should be fertile, it generates spiritual children," he told 800 nuns from numerous religious orders. "Motherhood is sacred ... you must be mothers and not old maids."
Francis has emphasized the role of women in the church since he became pope in March, ANSA reported.
But he has also criticized U.S. nuns who have deviated from Catholic doctrine by promoting what he has referred to as radical feminist themes.
Most Popular Stories
- Major Phone Makers Sign Anti-Phone-Theft Pledge
- College Board Offers a Sneak Peak at New SAT
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text
- Yellen Remarks, Market Data Give Stocks a Boost
- Chevrolet's Small SUV Coming to the U.S.
- Yahoo Struggles Despite Alibaba Boost
- Is This Job Too Good to Be True?
- Rapper Cuts Off Own Penis, Jumps Off Building in Failed Suicide
- Neil Young Closes Kickstarter Campaign for PonoMusic
- Castro Named as a Caress Fabulista