Pope Francis told a group of nuns Wednesday gathered in St. Peter's Square that
they should embrace their maternal side and be mothers, attendees said.
"Chastity should be fertile, it generates spiritual children," he told 800 nuns from numerous religious orders. "Motherhood is sacred ... you must be mothers and not old maids."
Francis has emphasized the role of women in the church since he became pope in March, ANSA reported.
But he has also criticized U.S. nuns who have deviated from Catholic doctrine by promoting what he has referred to as radical feminist themes.
Most Popular Stories
- Herbalife Puts Off Meeting for Icahn Talks
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Senate Reaches Unemployment Benefits Deal
- Calumet Photo Files for Bankruptcy
- Navarro Celebrates 2 Years of Vida Mia
- Venezuela Death Toll Reaches 28
- Federal Gov't Deficit Continues to Decline
- Russia Holds Large Military Drills in South
- Ukraine Moves Closer to Joining E.U.
- Dmytro Firtash, Ukrainian Billionaire, Arrested in Vienna