McDonald's says it's reaching out to the man who called police this week
and helped aid in the discovery of three women who had been held captive for
years in a Cleveland home.
Charles Ramsey, who lives next door to the house where three women and a young girl were discovered, told a local television station after the discovery that he was eating a McDonald's meal when he heard screaming and saw a girl trying to get out of the house. He then called 911, where he also mentioned his McDonald's meal. The call went viral online.
Then on Tuesday, the world's largest hamburger chain indicated it planned to contact Ramsey.
"We salute the courage of Ohio kidnap victims & respect their privacy," the Oak Brook chain said on its corporate Twitter account. "Way to go Charles Ramsey -- we'll be in touch."
Spokeswoman Danya Proud said that tweet was the result of a rash of customers asking the company to do something for Ramsey, who's been called a hero for calling attention to the scene.
"We have literally heard from thousands of people who think McDonald's should do something for Mr. Ramsey," Proud said. "Out of respect for him, and the situation, McDonald's and our franchisees are contacting him directly."
The company didn't go into detail about any possible reward.
(c)2013 the Chicago Tribune
Visit the Chicago Tribune at www.chicagotribune.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- U.S. Stocks Rise on Sysco Acquisition
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief
- American Airlines, US Airways Complete Merger
- Unemployed Wait as Lawmakers Debate
- Tech Giants Call for Controls on Government Snooping