A man convicted of spying in the U.S. for the Castro
regime has been allowed to return to Cuba after more than a decade in an
American prison, and on Monday he began the paperwork to make his homecoming
permanent.
Rene Gonzalez, one of five Cubans whose incarceration in the U.S. became a cause
celebre in Cuba and around the world, is the first of the group to be freed.
As part of the deal for him to remain in Cuba, Gonzalez, a dual U.S.-Cuban
citizen (he was born in the United States to Cuban parents), had to renounce his
U.S. citizenship.
On Monday, he went to the U.S. Interests Section in Havana, the office that
handles U.S. affairs in countries such as Cuba with which Washington has no
diplomatic ties, and formally filed the request for voluntary annulment of
citizenship, reports from the island said. He waved to onlookers who shouted his
name, the Associated Press reported from Havana.
Gonzalez, now 56, was arrested in Florida in 1998, convicted of espionage and
sentenced to 13 years in prison. He was released in 2011. But he was ordered to
remain in the U.S. on parole for an additional three years.
Last month, he was allowed to travel to Cuba to attend his father's funeral.
Last week, U.S. District Judge Joan Lenard in Miami said Gonzalez could remain
in Cuba permanently if he gave up his U.S. citizenship. She ruled after the
federal government indicated it would no longer object.
"It's a lot of emotions coming together," Gonzalez said in a radio interview
(link in Spanish) Monday before heading to the U.S. Interests Section.
The case of the Cuban Five -- "heroes" at home, "terrorists" in the U.S. -- has
been a volatile issue dividing Washington and Havana. The convictions were at
one point thrown out by an appeal court that said the men could not have gotten
a fair trial in a southern Florida "tainted" by anti-Castro hatred; the
convictions were later reinstated, and the U.S. Supreme Court declined to hear
the case, the final recourse for the five.
It also came to embroil the case of Alan Gross, an American subcontractor who
said he was in Cuba to distribute computers but was arrested and convicted by
the Cubans of espionage. He is serving a 15-year sentence, and Havana has
offered to consider trading him for the Cuban Five -- a proposition the U.S. has
rejected, saying the cases should not be linked.
Gonzalez and his four codefendants were intelligence agents sent to the U.S. to
keep tabs on radical Cuban exile groups, the Cuban government has said. But they
were arrested by U.S. authorities and in 2001 convicted of spying on U.S.
military installations and other charges. One member of the group, Gerardo
Hernandez, is serving two life sentences for allegedly supplying information
that enabled the Cuban air force to shoot down and kill four pilots working for
a Miami-based Cuban exile organization.
___
(c)2013 Los Angeles Times
Visit the Los Angeles Times at www.latimes.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Fox, Twitter team up to promote TV shows, sell ads
- Summer Movie Forecast: Biggest Box Office Season Yet For 3D Movies, According to International 3D
- Guitar Center Sessions Updates on New Episodes Featuring The Smashing Pumpkins, Goo Goo Dolls, OneRepublic and Talib Kweli
- One hot summer
- Cinedigm's Docurama Launches New YouTube Channel
- Daily Trivia Byte
- Movieline Rolls Out into the Online Video Space
- Stars light up the stage in memory of gentle giant ; REVIEW [Birmingham Mail (UK)]
- Nikki Hill brings her raw energy and vintage style to Roanoke
- CrowdIt Backs Springfield Area Filmmakers by Offering Complimentary Crowdfunding to Comedy Film Company
News-To-Go
Advertisement
Advertisement
News Column
Spy Allowed to Return to Cuba
May 7, 2013
Advertisement
For more stories covering politics, please see HispanicBusiness' Politics Channel
Source: Copyright Los Angeles Times 2013
Story Tools



