Warren Buffett, the chairman of Berkshire Hathaway, topped at least 80,000 followers on Twitter as he sent his first message on the social media site.
"Warren is in the house," Buffett wrote in the post, sent Thursday during an event on women in leadership sponsored by Fortune magazine at the University of Nebraska Omaha. He sent the post about 12:20 p.m. EDT; an hour later, he had more than 59,000 followers.
Buffett will host Berkshire's shareholders Saturday at the company's annual meeting in Omaha,. The billionaire's Twitter handle is @WarrenBuffett.
The number of Twitter users following Buffett trails the more than 38 million receiving updates from Justin Bieber, and the 11.1 million following Bill Gates, a director of Berkshire who plays cards with Buffett.
"Welcome to Twitter @WarrenBuffett," Gates said in a Twitter post. "First ever Twitter bridge tourney starts now. I bid 3 hearts."
Goldman Sachs, which turned to Buffett for a capital injection in the financial crisis, also sent a message. "Please welcome our friend @WarrenBuffett to @twitter by following him today," the bank said.
Buffett isn't following any people on Twitter.
Most Popular Stories
- Shia LaBeouf Plea Deal, Alcoholism Treatment
- Ohio State Band Chief Fired After Probe
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Ukraine Says Russians Firing Across the Border
- Ford Q2 Net Profit up 6 Percent
- U.S. Weighs Refugee Status for Immigrant Kids
- Jennifer Lopez, Pitbull to Perform at Fashion Rocks
- Ricky Martin Joins 'The Voice ... Mexico'
- Morgan Stanley Ponies Up $275 Million to Settle SEC Charges