Warren Buffett, the chairman of Berkshire Hathaway, topped at least 80,000 followers on Twitter as he sent his first message on the social media site.
"Warren is in the house," Buffett wrote in the post, sent Thursday during an event on women in leadership sponsored by Fortune magazine at the University of Nebraska Omaha. He sent the post about 12:20 p.m. EDT; an hour later, he had more than 59,000 followers.
Buffett will host Berkshire's shareholders Saturday at the company's annual meeting in Omaha,. The billionaire's Twitter handle is @WarrenBuffett.
The number of Twitter users following Buffett trails the more than 38 million receiving updates from Justin Bieber, and the 11.1 million following Bill Gates, a director of Berkshire who plays cards with Buffett.
"Welcome to Twitter @WarrenBuffett," Gates said in a Twitter post. "First ever Twitter bridge tourney starts now. I bid 3 hearts."
Goldman Sachs, which turned to Buffett for a capital injection in the financial crisis, also sent a message. "Please welcome our friend @WarrenBuffett to @twitter by following him today," the bank said.
Buffett isn't following any people on Twitter.
Most Popular Stories
- James Foley Beheading Video Is Real Thing: White House
- McDonald's Packages Coffee for National Distribution
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- Honda's Safe Approach Pays Off in Sales
- Castro-Blanco Joins Fifth Street Finance Board
- GE Healthcare Bringing Jobs to Massachusetts
- Target Slashes Annual Profit Outlook
- Google Kid Accounts Plan Raises Worries
- Ballmer Steps Down From Microsoft Board
- Islamic Militant in James Foley Beheading Video May Be English