OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwired) -- 05/06/13 -- Their Excellencies the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General of Canada, and Mrs. Sharon Johnston, along with Deepak Chopra, President and CEO of Canada Post, will unveil a postage stamp commemorating the 60th anniversary of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II's coronation, during a ceremony at Rideau Hall on Wednesday, May 8, 2013, at 10 a.m.
She was crowned on June 2, 1953, at Westminster Abbey, after becoming Queen on February 6, 1952, upon the death of her father, King George VI.
About the Stamp
The portrait featured on the stamp was painted by Canadian artist Phil Richards on the occasion of Her Majesty's Diamond Jubilee. This stamp issue continues Canada Post's long history of commemorating The Queen with now 69 stamps issued during her 60-year reign. For more information, please visit www.canadapost.ca.
About the Portrait
The portrait was officially unveiled by Her Majesty at Buckingham Palace on June 6, 2012. It is a contemporary representation of Her Majesty and a symbol of her presence in the governor general's official residence and workplace. Now installed in the Ballroom at Rideau Hall, the public can view the portrait during tours and official events at the residence.
On September 24, 2012, Their Excellencies hosted a special screening of The Portrait, a National Film Board 40-minute short film, directed by Hubert Davis, documenting the work of Mr. Richards as he created the portrait. For more information about the documentary, visit www.nfb.ca.
Media wishing to cover this event are asked to confirm their attendance with the Rideau Hall Press Office and must arrive at the Princess Anne Entrance no later than 9:45 a.m. on the day of the event.
Rideau Hall Press Office
Canada Post Media Line
Most Popular Stories
- Steve Ballmer Files Six-Figure Counterclaim vs. Steve Gordon
- Creepers! Microsoft Buys 'Minecraft' Maker for $2.5 Billion
- Back to School, Even in Immigration Jail
- Hispanic Buying Power Slow but Growing in South
- When to Say No to Investors, Yes to Mentors
- Apple: Record iPhones 6 Orders on 1st Day
- U.S. Factory Output Slowed 0.4 Percent in August
- Is a Mayweather, Pacquiao Big-Money Fight Possible?
- Clinton: 'Fabulous to Be Back' in Iowa
- 'No Good Deed' Defeats 'Guardians' at Theaters