The European Union believes that Motorola
violated the law when it used mobile phone patents to block products
by competitor Apple in Germany, the bloc's executive said Monday in a
preliminary opinion that could lead to hefty fines.
"The protection of intellectual property is a cornerstone of
innovation and growth. But so is competition," EU Competition
Commissioner Joaquin Almunia said in a statement.
"I think that companies should spend their time innovating and
competing on the merits of the products they offer - not misusing
their intellectual property rights to hold up competitors to the
detriment of innovation and consumer choice," he added.
At issue are so-called standard essential patents, which firms
must license to others in a "fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory"
way because of their importance to the industry. They cover standards
for wireless communication, video compression and wireless networks.
As a mobile phone pioneer, US-based Motorola had a treasure chest
of some 17,000 patents and 6,800 patent applications. Its wireless
arm, Motorola Mobility, was acquired by Google last year.
In a statement, the European Commission said that it believed
Motorola violated EU competition rules by enforcing a court
injunction against Apple in Germany even though the technology giant
had agreed to pay patent royalties to its rival.
Motorola can now respond to the allegation before the commission
makes its final decision.
The institution enforces the EU's competition rules, which state
that no company that dominates a given market should be allowed to
use its power to shut rivals out. Violators risk fines that can
amount to 10 per cent of their company's annual global turnover.
Despite the Motorola acquisition, Google is not likely to have to
cover such a fine, commission spokesman Jonathan Todd said.
"The fact is that most of the behaviour in question took place
before the company was acquired by Google."
Microsoft has also complained to the commission over inappropriate
patent use by Motorola. That case is "still under active
consideration," Todd said.
The EU's top court is set to take up the industry war surrounding
standard essential patents too, after a German regional court
recently asked it to weigh in on a case involving the Chinese
telecoms equipment makers Huawei and ZTE.
Most Popular Stories
- Tesla Proves EVs Can Be Profitable
- 'Liz & Dick,' 'Cloud Atlas' Among New DVD and Blu-ray Releases
- Hispanics Wanted in STEM Careers
- Repubs Want IRS Probe, Apology
- Economic Forecast Improves for Late 2013
- J.J. Abrams Boldly Going From 'Star Trek' to 'Star Wars'
- Detroit 3 Score High on Auto Quality Survey
- Kindle Fire Customers Get 500 Free Amazon Coins
- Americans Get Along Well, Despite Politicians
- Retail Sales Up in April
News-To-Go
Advertisement
Advertisement
News Column
EU Takes Aim at Motorola Over Mobile Patent Row
May 6, 2013
Alexandra Mayer-Hohdahl, dpa
Advertisement
For more stories covering the world of technology, please see HispanicBusiness' Tech Channel
Source: Copyright 2013 dpa Deutsche Presse-Agentur GmbH
Story Tools



