May 05--ROCKLAND -- Hot Club of San Francisco presents "Cinema Vivant," an evening of vintage silent films accompanied by live gypsy swing music beginning at 7 p.m. Saturday at the Strand Theatre in Rockland.
Made up of accomplished and versatile musicians, Hot Club of San Francisco will celebrate the music of Django Reinhardt, a pioneering jazz guitarist and composer, and Stephane Grappelli, a violinist who co-founded Hot Club de France.
The group incorporates the violin, bass and guitars from the original Hot Club while breathing new life into the music. Hot Club of San Francisco will deliver creative arrangements and original compositions from the rhythm section, lead guitarist Paul Mehling and Evan Price, a two-time Grammy Award-winning violinist.
"Cinema Vivant" also features three silent films, including two by European filmmaker Ladislaw Starewicz, who pioneered stop-motion animation. The two Starewicz films are "The Cameraman's Revenge," a 1912 film about the marital troubles of beetles, and "The Mascot," a 1933 film about lost toys.
A third film, "There It Is," by 1920s revolutionary American filmmaker Charley Bowers, is a comedy about a mysterious occurrence investigated by Scotland Yard.
The members of Hot Club of San Francisco will play their instruments to match every movement on the screen.
Tickets are $40 ($30 for ages 21 to 35 and $10 for those under age 21).
For more information and to buy tickets, call 236-2823 or go to baychamberconcerts.org.
(c)2013 the Portland Press Herald (Portland, Maine)
Visit the Portland Press Herald (Portland, Maine) at www.pressherald.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Bipartisan Budget Deal Gets Key Support in House
- TFA Recruiting DACA Recipients
- Bitcoin Clones Lurch Onto Financial Scene
- Scotch Whisky Sales Raise Distillers' Spirits
- Clinton to Keynote Annual Simmons Leadership Conference
- Holiday Shopping Off to a Slow Start This Season
- Health Coverage Disparities Emerge Among States
- Podesta Likely to Reject Keystone XL
- Fake Deaf Interpreter Was Hallucinating, Has Schizophrenia
- Tea Party Glum in Face of Bipartisan Budget Deal