May 05--Columbus Children's Theatre will celebrate its 50th anniversary next season with two big musicals in the Lincoln Theatre.
The 2013-14 season will open with Shrek the Musical, adapted from the popular DreamWorks animated film and the William Steig book about a green ogre with a donkey sidekick who rescues a feisty princess. The two-act musical is recommended for age 5 and older.
Also in the Lincoln, the company will present the area premiere of a Royal Shakespeare Company version of The Wizard of Oz, with music and lyrics from the beloved 1939 MGM movie.
Other musicals will include Freckleface Strawberry: The Musical, an adaptation of actress Julianne Moore's books about a girl who tries to get rid of her freckles, then learns the value of being different; and Bunnicula, about a pet rabbit feared by the other family pets as a vegetable vampire.
The holiday show will be Junie B. in Jingle Bells Batman Smells, an encore of the popular 2011 production of the Allison Gregory comedy.
Rounding out the season will be adaptations by Executive and Artistic Director William Goldsmith of Arthur and the Magic Sword, Hansel and Gretel and The Princess and the Pea.
In the summer, the company will present The Wedding Singer, a musical adapted from the Adam Sandler film, and Disney's The Little Mermaid Jr., an edited version of the Broadway musical.
(c)2013 The Columbus Dispatch (Columbus, Ohio)
Visit The Columbus Dispatch (Columbus, Ohio) at www.dispatch.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Updates on Everglades' Stranded Pilot Whales
- NSA Tracks 5 Billion Cellphone Records a Day
- Hezbollah Chief's Assassination Claimed by Sunni Group
- Stolen Cobalt-60 Recovered in Mexico
- Wind Power and Wildlife Can Coexist
- Ford Mustang Still Packs Power
- Allstate Seeks to Invest in Minority Firms
- Sarmiento to Handle Greeley Latin Ops
- First-time Jobless Claims Drop Below 300,000
- Roybal-Allard Tours Gordon Brush Plant