Some of the men on hunger strike at Guantanamo have been cleared for release
from the U.S. detention center, their lawyers say.
The military, which operates the detention center at the Guantanamo naval base in Cuba, has not released any of the names of hunger strikers. As of Wednesday, Lt. Col. Samuel House said 100 of the 166 remaining detainees are refusing food, The Miami Herald reported.
Lawyers for nine detainees told the Herald they have been notified their clients are being force fed. The group includes Mohammed al-Hamiri of Yemen, who was listed by the Justice Department in court papers as eligible for release.
An Obama administration panel determined that 46 of the men remaining at Guantanamo should be held indefinitely without charge, that 56 could be transferred to other countries and 30 might be eligible for transfer under certain conditions. The administration has suspended transfers to Yemen.
Two Algerians and a Syrian who are being force fed are also eligible for release, the Herald said.
Most Popular Stories
- Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury on Previously Unreleased Queen Cut
- 10 Things to Know About Alibaba
- Concur Sold to SAP for $8.3B
- Five Steps to Protect Yourself from Data Breaches
- Chrysler Recalls Nearly 189,000 SUVs
- Federal Probe Finds Christie Did Not Order 'Bridgegate'
- Intruder Gets into White House
- HCL America Adding 1,200 IT Jobs
- Longtime Unemployed to Get Help in Las Vegas
- Medical Mfg. Jobs Coming to Dayton