ARCADIA, WI -- (Marketwired) -- 05/03/13 -- With Cinco de Mayo almost upon us, you could go "loco" trying to come up with budget-friendly designs for your celebration. While it may be tempting just to give in and head to the local party store, you could actually come up with far-more budget friendly, tasteful and fun ideas with items you may already have.
"When it comes to decorating, especially for a festive, fun occasion like Cinco de Mayo, sometimes you just have to think outside the box," says Brenda Dillon, VP of Merchandising. "Anything goes! So give yourself a little creative license and just have some fun with it."
Ashley Furniture HomeStore offers five out-of-the-box party ideas that are sure to be the talk of your fiesta:
1. Festive margarita bar. Break out the blender and get ready for what will surely be the highlight of your party! Just line your home bar, living room server or cart with a colorful table cloth (which you can fold to fit as needed.) Any vibrant hues will work for your table cloth (e.g. yellow, red, orange, green, bright pink, light blue, etc.) You can spend money on some sour mix or make some from scratch pretty easily (there are a ton of recipes on the internet that require just some basic juices and sugar). Set out the sour mix along with some tequila, an ice bucket, limes, salt and a few rimming dishes for those who prefer their margaritas with a salted rim. All you need now is a blender and a cocktail mixer for margaritas "on the rocks." Have guests shake or blend their own cocktail or grab a volunteer to play bartender for the night. If you don't have margarita glasses, don't worry. Martini glasses will work, as will standard cocktail glasses, tumblers, colorful outdoor plastic cups or anything else you can find around the house. After you have all of that, stick some colorful flowers from outside into terra cotta pots or use clean jalapeno cans, refried bean cans, beer bottles or salsa jars (keep the labels on!) and you have a festive little decoration for your bar.
2. Unique table décor. Since it's Cinco de Mayo, you'll likely be serving up some Mexican favorites (e.g. chips and salsa, bean dip, tacos, etc.). Once you've decided which table you'll be using for your delicious display, it's time to make it look festive! Again, a colorful table cloth is in order if you choose the dining room or kitchen table. Top it off with a colorful table runner for an extra splash of color. If you're using a kitchen island, drape a table runner across it. For the centerpiece, break out some clear glass vases or hurricane vases, and fill them with red, yellow and green chili peppers. If you don't have any real peppers, you can fill them with whole lemons and limes. Rather than using a standard chip bowl, line the middle of a sombrero with some plastic wrap and place a small bowl of salsa inside; spread chips around the brim of the hat. You can also use festive flower arrangements (see #1).
3. Fun utensil wraps. A quick trip to the store will get you a load of plastic utensils in a rainbow of Cinco de Mayo colors. But if you want to work with what you have, consider using your existing utensils and wrapping them in festive ribbons (Hint: pull out your holiday wrapping items and find red, green, yellow, blue or any combination of ribbon colors). If you want the look of Mexican punched tin, grab some aluminum foil and get to work! Shape aluminum foil into rectangular strips, add a design with stamping tools or something from around the house, and use some hot glue to adhere -- or just fold/crimp the ends together. If you have any small flower pots around, they make great utensil holders.
4. Sparkling lights. As the sun goes down, be sure to light up your Cinco de Mayo party with strings of festive lights! (Hint: your holiday lights may do the trick) String them across the patio, in trees, around the front door, in standing plants, around a buffet table, or anywhere you'd like to add a little sizzle to your celebration.
5. Add some music. Even with all of the festive décor, no Cinco de Mayo party is complete without the right music. Download a mix of Mexican favorites (a quick online search will turn up plenty) to add some ambiance to your celebration. You could also just tune in to your local Mexican radio station or locate one online and turn up the fun!
For other smart design and decorating ideas, or to browse the hottest new furniture collections and accessories, visit AshleyFurnitureHomeStore.com.
About Ashley Furniture HomeStore
Ashley Furniture HomeStore, the #1 furniture retailer in the United States, delivers furniture and mattresses to customers at over 450 independently owned and operated locations in the United States, Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico and Japan. Ashley Furniture HomeStore is an exclusive provider of furniture from Ashley Furniture Industries, Inc., the largest furniture manufacturer in the United States. "Like" Ashley Furniture HomeStore on Facebook, follow them on Twitter, or see their design-focused boards on Pinterest.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2300981
Add to Digg Bookmark with del.icio.us Add to Newsvine
Ashley Furniture HomeStore
E-mail: Email Contact
Phone: (608) 323-3377
Most Popular Stories
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- Taco Bell Rings Up Breakfast Menu
- California Establishes Center for Coffee Study
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security
- For Obama, a Last Stab at Improving Ties with Capitol Hill
- Sunday Starts Daylight Saving Time
- 'Holy grail of guitars' OM-45 Deluxe Available in in NY Auction