New Mexico cities, counties and other government entities
must complete annual financial audits to receive state capital outlay funding
under an executive order signed Thursday by Gov. Susana Martinez.
The Republican governor said the order will compel cities and counties to have
up-to-date audits on file and could serve to reduce waste and abuse in state
public works spending.
"Millions of dollars are spent each year on capital projects in communities
throughout our state," Martinez said. " It's important for the entities spending
this money to show on a regular basis that they meet financial management
standards."
Under state law, the financial affairs of state and local governments must be
examined each year by outside auditors.
A total of 59 cities, counties and other governmental entities were not up to
speed with the requirement as of April 15, according to state Auditor Hector
Balderas' office.
The delinquent audit list included the cities of Sunland Park, Espanola,
Carlsbad, Santa Rosa, Gallup and Texico. It also includes Otero, Eddy and De
Baca counties, as well as the New Mexico Finance Authority and the state Indian
Affairs Department.
In some cases, the statemandated audits have not been received by the State
Auditor's Office for several years.
Balderas said that Martinez's executive order will put more teeth into the
state's enforcement of audits.
"I believe it's an important step in improving accountability of agencies that
are placing public dollars at risk," Balderas told the Journal in a phone
interview. "It no longer allows the state to reward poor-performing agencies
with additional dollars."
However, Balderas said he still hopes legislators will enact stiffer penalties
for having a delinquent audit and provide more support to government entities
who are behind schedule.
In addition to requiring an up-to-date audit in order to receive capital outlay
funding, Martinez's executive order requires more oversight of such spending
when a government entity's most recent audit raised concerns.
The governor earlier this year signed into law a $270 million package of
statewide public works projects, though she used her line-item veto authority to
ax about $4.4 million worth of projects that had been approved by the
Legislature.
The executive order could impact 61 projects in this year's public works package
that are spread over 32 different government entities, according to the
Department of Finance and Administration.
Bonds to pay for the project approved in this year's capital outlay bill are
expected to be sold in June by the state Board of Finance.
___
(c)2013 the Albuquerque Journal (Albuquerque, N.M.)
Visit the Albuquerque Journal (Albuquerque, N.M.) at www.abqjournal.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Fox, Twitter team up to promote TV shows, sell ads
- Guitar Center Sessions Updates on New Episodes Featuring The Smashing Pumpkins, Goo Goo Dolls, OneRepublic and Talib Kweli
- Cinedigm's Docurama Launches New YouTube Channel
- Daily Trivia Byte
- One hot summer
- Stars light up the stage in memory of gentle giant ; REVIEW [Birmingham Mail (UK)]
- Movieline Rolls Out into the Online Video Space
- CELEBRITY BIRTHDAYS [Birmingham Mail (UK)]
- CrowdIt Backs Springfield Area Filmmakers by Offering Complimentary Crowdfunding to Comedy Film Company
- Nikki Hill brings her raw energy and vintage style to Roanoke
News-To-Go
Advertisement
Advertisement
News Column
N.M. Capital Outlays Will Require Yearly Audits
May 3, 2013
Advertisement
For more stories covering politics, please see HispanicBusiness' Politics Channel
Source: Copyright Albuquerque Journal (NM) 2013
Story Tools



