OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwired) -- 05/03/13 -- Today, the Honourable Gary Goodyear, Minister of State (Science and Technology), made the following statement:
"On behalf of the Government of Canada, I want to congratulate students from Toronto's Crescent School and Mississauga's Rick Hansen Secondary School on winning the world championship at the FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) Robotics Competition in St. Louis, Missouri. Their victory, in collaboration with the Texas Torque team from The Woodlands, Texas, is an unparalleled achievement. Never before in the event's 21-year history have two Canadian teams cooperated to finish in top spot. These young innovators represented the best of our country's engineering and technical talent to triumph over 400 teams from around the world.
"Scientific research and discovery is the key to strengthening this country's position as a global innovation leader. By supporting discovery-driven research through all levels of academia, the government is building the foundation for a prosperous 21st-century knowledge economy."
Director of Communications
Office of the Honourable Gary Goodyear
Minister of State (Science and Technology)
Most Popular Stories
- Slow Week Ahead of December FOMC Meeting
- Hispanics Seek to Grow School Board Members
- 'Knockout Game': Myth or Menace?
- U.S. Companies Eager for Iranian Business
- Questions Remain in Jenni Rivera's Death
- Banks Fret as Volcker Vote Approaches
- Entrepreneurs' Next Creation May Be New Laws
- GM Bailout Saved 1.2 Million U.S. Jobs, Report Says
- Bitcoin Used to Buy Tesla Car
- Paul Walker Fans Pay Respects