US consumer confidence surged in May to its highest level in five years amid upbeat expectations for the country's short-term economic outlook, the New York-based Conference Board said Tuesday.
The index rose to 76.2 in May from a revised 69 in April, the private research group said. The reading was the highest since February 2008 for the world's largest economy. ----- Related: < ahref="http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/2013/5/28/consumer_confidence_index_hits_5year_high.htm">Consumer Confidence Index Hits 5-Year High -----
Most Popular Stories
- Photo ID Required for Unemployment Benefits
- Software Writers Sought in Indiana
- Ukraine Crisis Limits Losses in Gold, Silver
- Can GOP Dodge Immigration Bullet?
- How Past Mistakes Will Drive Ukraine's Future
- Tech Firms to Increase Hiring for 4th Year in a Row
- Job Fair for S.C. Grads
- Chiquita, Fyffes to Form Top Banana
- Millennials Favor Saving Over Investing: UBS
- Big Earthquake Rumbles Northern California