By Gail Walker
It''s sexism, Jim, and much as we know it ... While JJ Abrams' ' Star Trek Into Darkness has generally drawn positive reviews and even warp-speed box office returns, the film has had to put up a critical force field over the gratutitous scene of Alice Eve (yes, Trevor Eve''s daughter) in her space undies -- which look surprisingly like contemporary ones (push up bra and teeny tiny panties).
Of course, there is something bizarre in suddenly being concerned about sexism in Star Trek. True, his jumpers were tight and towards the end barely contained his paunch but James T Kirk was never the eye fodder of Lieutenant Uhura. And let''s not even get started on Game of Thrones, a show which seems to be scripted by a gang of 13- year-old boys.
But times they are a changing. Why should we be subjected to this nonsense in a family summer blockbuster? Just because the dads need something? What an insulting view of men -- I think they can sit in the cinema for a couple of hours without seeing somebody wearing the latest from Agent Provocateur.
Their wee brains wont go into meltdown following the plot without having the added challenge of guessing some starlet''s cup size.
For once the backlash seems to be working.
Cornered on US television, Abrams confessed that he could appreciate critics' point of view. The producer/writer Damon Lindelof mea culpa''ed that the scene was indeed gratuitous, tweeting: "What I'm saying is I hear you, I take full responsibility, and will be more mindful in the future."
A small victory but one perhaps to make Hollywood think a bit about their customers.
Originally published by firstname.lastname@example.org Follow me @GWalker9 on Twitter Gail Walker.
(c) 2013 Belfast Telegraph. Provided by ProQuest LLC. All rights Reserved.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- National Retail Federation Reduces Sales Forecast
- Xavier Gutierrez Appointed to Bank Board
- Long-term Strengths Emerge in U.S. Economy
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Honda' s Accord Plug-in Hybrid Is a Fuel Miser
- Weekly Jobless Claims Drop to Lowest Level in 8 Years
- Naya Rivera and Ryan Dorsey Are Married
- Menendez: No Arms for Iraq Without Intel
- Self-Induced Abortions Rise After Texas Closes Clinics
- Amazon Fire Phone Improves on Familiar: Review