In the new film "Behind the Candelabra," veteran entertainer Debbie Reynolds has just three major scenes to flesh out one of the most complicated figures in piano-playing showman Liberace's life: his loving but sometimes- manipulative mother, Frances.
The Oscar-, Tony- and Emmy-nominated Reynolds didn't need to do any homework for the part. She knew Frances.
"We all knew he was homosexual. That was a friend: You know what they love and the people that they love, and what they are."
"Behind the Candelabra" picks up the story of Liberace, played by Michael Douglas, in the '70s and focuses on his six-year relationship with the much younger Scott Thorson, portrayed by Matt Damon. It premiers Sunday on HBO.
Lewis finds ladies unfunny
Ladies? Don't make him laugh.
Asked who are his favorite female comics Thursday at a Cannes Film Festival press conference, Jerry Lewis said, "I don't have any."
Asked Thursday if he had changed his mind at all because of performers like Melissa McCarthy and Sarah Silverman, the 87-year- old Lewis said of women performing broad comedy: "I can't see women doing that. It bothers me."
Lewis was in Cannes for the premiere of "Max Rose," a drama directed by Daniel Noah in which
Lewis stars as an aging jazz musician.
Coen launches stage play
The world premiere of Ethan Coen's first full-length stage play, a revival of "The Threepenny Opera" and a new play by Stephen Adly Guirgis will highlight the Atlantic Theater Company's upcoming season.
Coen, half of the prolific filmmaking Coen brothers, offers his "Women or Nothing," about two women desperate to have a child.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- FDIC Accuses Big Banks of Fraud, Conspiracy
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- Stocks Close Lower Ahead of Crimea Vote
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- Ulta Shares Look Good on Strong Q4
- Jittery Investors Dumping Russian Stocks
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- JLo Turns the Tables in New Vid: 'I Luh Ya Papi'