Standup at the Shrine
Rocky Osborn headlines Aurora's Comedy Shrine this weekend. The 90-minute standup comedy set also features host Jack Baker. The adults-only version of the Shrine's audience-interactive, improv show "Whose Line?" (inspired by the TV show hosted by Drew Carey) follows the standup show at 10 p.m.
8 p.m. Friday and Saturday, May 24-25, at 4034 Fox Valley Center Drive, Aurora. Tickets to each show cost $20. (630) 585-0300 or .
The great wordsmith David Ives' adaptation of "The Liar" -- the 17th-century farce by Pierre Corneille -- marks the return of director William Brown ("A Little Night Music") to Writers' Theatre. Ives described working on this costume comedy as the most fun he's had writing a play. Rooted in mistaken identities and secret agendas, the production features Nate Burger as Dorante, a charmer who wins admirers everywhere he goes so long as he doesn't tell the truth.
Previews continue through Wednesday, May 29, at 325 Tudor Court, Glencoe. The show opens at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, May 30. $35-$70. (847) 242-6000 or.
Steppenwolf Theatre's third annual Next Up showcase of emerging theater artists features MFA directing and design graduates from Northwestern University and alumni from the Steppenwolf school in three productions, which run in repertory through June 16. Featured plays include Neil LaBute's "Fat Pig," Adam Bock's "The Drunken City" and Anne Washburn's "The Internationalist."
Performances begin Tuesday, May 28, at the Garage Theatre, 1624 N. Halsted St., Chicago. $20. (312) 335-1650 or see for schedule.
-- Barbara Vitello
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- New Hershey's Logo Revealed
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- Obama's Delay on Immigration Creates Uncertainty
- Startups Offer Smartphone Banking Apps
- Mexico's Pemex Forecasts 6.7% Drop in 2014 Crude Production
- 'Longmire' Cancelled, Looks for New Network
- Clippers Deal Started With 2 Numbers
- Illinois Issues Fracking Rules
- Hip-Hop Takes Up Ferguson Cause
- Echeveste Steps Down, Perez Steps Up at VPE