OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwired) -- 05/24/13 -- Today, the Honourable Joe Oliver, Canada's Minister of Natural Resources, released the following read-out following his phone call with Dr. Ernest Moniz, United States Secretary of Energy, who was sworn in on May 21, 2013:
"This afternoon I congratulated Dr. Ernest Moniz on his confirmation as United States Secretary of Energy.
"We discussed the importance of the energy relationship between Canada and the United States in support of jobs, energy security and environmental stewardship. We also referred to recent bilateral agreements in the nuclear and hydro sectors that benefit both countries.
"I noted that every day, Canada sends 2.4 million barrels of oil to the United States and that we are a reliable and responsible energy partner to the United States. This is important, as the State Department assesses sources to fulfil their country's oil needs.
"We discussed alignment between Canada and the United States in reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 17 percent below 2005 levels by 2020.
"Our Government respects the U.S. permitting process for Keystone XL, and we remain hopeful Keystone XL will be approved on its merits.
"We had an excellent discussion, and I look forward to visiting Secretary Moniz to discuss Canada's bilateral energy relationship in greater detail in the near future."
NRCan's news releases and backgrounders are available at www.nrcan.gc.ca/media.
Media may contact:
Office of Canada's Minister of Natural Resources
Natural Resources Canada, Ottawa
The general public may contact:
Mon.-Fri., 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. EDT
(teletype for the hearing-impaired)
Most Popular Stories
- American Airlines, US Airways Complete Merger
- ACA Delay Stresses Small Businesses
- Unemployed Wait as Lawmakers Debate
- Questions Remain in Jenni Rivera's Death
- General Dynamics Plans 200 New Jobs in N.M.
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Harley Issues Motorcycle Recall
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response
- Auto Dealer Builds Big Solar Project