Motorists traveling this Memorial Day weekend will see lower gas prices than this same time last year.
Gasoline prices in Orangeburg this Memorial Day weekend are averaging $3.237 a gallon for regular unleaded self-serve, according to a Wednesday morning survey of 21 service stations.
The least expensive gasoline sold for $3.179 cash at the Hot Spot on U.S. 301; the Dodges Store on U.S. 301/601 at Cannon Bridge Road and Henry's Travel Plaza on Edisto Drive.
"Lower gas prices and a slowly improving economy means more people will travel this holiday weekend to spend time with family and friends," said David E. Parsons, president and CEO of AAA Carolinas.
Last year's Memorial Day weekend saw Orangeburg gasoline prices averaging $3.339 a gallon. Two years ago during the same weekend, gasoline prices averaged $3.636 a gallon.
Though gasoline prices are lower this Memorial Day holiday than the previous two years, prices in the area are up 16 cents since Christmas when they were averaging about $3.078 a gallon.
The average price of gas in South Carolina is $3.216, according to southcarolinagasprices.com. Nationally, gasoline prices are averaging about $3.691 a gallon.
Statewide, gasoline prices are down about 9 cents from this same time last year. AAA Carolinas says South Carolina has the lowest gas prices in the U.S.
A total of 505,000 South Carolinians are expected to travel more than 50 miles from home this weekend.
More motorists can often mean more danger on the highways.
The Memorial Day travel holiday last year saw 12 deaths on the state's roads and highways, according to the South Carolina Highway Patrol fatality list for May 24-28, 2012. None of the deaths were in The T&D Region.
Most Popular Stories
- Neighbor Warns Chris Brown to Stay Off His Property
- Venezuelan Officials Banned From Traveling in U.S.
- Adrienne Bailon Disses Ex-Lover Rob Kardashian
- Hiring on the Rise at Small Businesses
- NSHMBA Names Lincoln as Automotive Partner
- Hispanic Arts Leaders Unite Across the Border
- Islamic State Fights for Control of Syrian Oil Wealth
- How to Fit Green Energy Into Your Portfolio
- Sanctions Will Hit Russia Hard if Not Lifted Quickly
- Jerry Brown Favors More Shelters for Immigrant Kids