Candice Glover spent more time on season 12 of "American Idol" than
she will on creating her debut album.
The 23-year-old, who won the Fox singing series last week after competing for four months, is set to release "Music Speaks" on July 16.
Past "Idol" champs released their debut albums in the fall after winning the contest in the spring, but Glover said she's ready to capitalize on the insta-fame "Idol" has given her.
"I've built a fan base being on this show, and my fan base is interested in me now and they won't see me every Wednesday and Thursday anymore to admire my singing, so I think it's a good thing it's coming out this summer," she said in an interview this week.
"It's crazy that I'm even talking about an album because last year I was working at a resort," she added, laughing.
"Music Speaks" was available on pre-order the day after she won the "Idol" crown, beating out country singer Kree Harrison. Glover's debut single, the inspirational pop ballad "I Am Beautiful," sold 48,000 tracks in its first week, according to Nielsen SoundScan.
The St. Helena Island, S.C., native, who auditioned but didn't make the cut in seasons nine and 11, said the "Idol" experience has made her more confident.
Most Popular Stories
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- Labor Day Travel Up, Gas Prices Down
- Bogdanovitch Delivers Laughs With 'She's Funny'
- U.K. Raises Terror Threat Level to 'Severe'
- Nintendo Launching 'Amiibo' Toy-game Franchise
- Canada, Russia Go to War (on Twitter)
- Parra Joins Exclusive Club of Hispanic CEOs
- Apple to Unveil New Items on Sept. 9
- Axxis Solutions Appoints Benites as CEO
- Obama Puts Ukraine Violence on Russia