After Metro Police contacted Jose Canseco on Wednesday morning about
sexual assault allegations raised against him, the former Major League Baseball
player publicly proclaimed his innocence.
Canseco, who now lives in Las Vegas, is considered a suspect in connection with reported sexual assault, according to a Metro news release. No charges have been filed and the investigation is ongoing, police said.
Metro Sgt. John Sheahan said officers made contact Wednesday morning with Canseco and that Canseco agreed to an interview. The interview has not taken place yet.
Police would not elaborate further.
"He's being investigated for an alleged sexual assault, and that's it," Sheahan said.
Canseco was en route to Fort Worth, Texas, but before leaving Las Vegas reportedly indicated he was willing to take a lie detector test on national television to prove his innocence.
He was headed to Texas to join the Fort Worth Cats baseball club as player/coach for the team's first homestand of the 2013 season. The Cats open their Northern League schedule against the Edinburg Roadrunners, who are managed by Ozzie Canseco, Jose Canseco's identical twin.
Jose Canseco, a former all-star and 1988 American League Most Valuable Player, was in the majors from 1985 until 2001. The 2005 book "Juiced: Wild Times, Rampant 'Roids, Smash Hits & How Baseball Got Big," is Jose Canseco's tell-all about steroids in the major leagues.
(c)2013 the Las Vegas Sun (Las Vegas, Nev.)
Visit the Las Vegas Sun (Las Vegas, Nev.) at www.lasvegassun.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Plugs ACA on Zach Galifianakis Show
- Rand Paul Takes Pot Shot at Ted Cruz
- Senate Dems Pull All-Nighter on Global Warming
- Why New Workers Can't Get Ahead
- Dianne Feinstein Accuses CIA of Spying on Congress
- 'The Bachelor' Juan Pablo Picks His Love
- Snowden Urges Silicon Valley to Resist Internet Spying
- FBI Helping Ukraine Recover Stolen Billions
- Miley Cyrus Performs in Undies After Costume Goes Missing
- Software Writers Sought in Indiana