An FBI agent has shot and killed a man who
allegedly had ties to deceased Boston Marathon bombing suspect
The shooting took place in Orlando, Florida, early Wednesday as an FBI agent and two Massachusetts police officers were interviewing the man in connection with the bombing investigation and "a violent confrontation was initiated by the individual," FBI spokesman Dave Couvertier said.
The man was killed and the agent was injured during the confrontation, he said. The incident was under investigation.
The FBI did not provide the man's name, but local media identified him as Ibragim Todashev, 27. He had not been a suspect in the bombing that killed three people and injured more than 250 on April 15.
A friend of the victim told local television stations that Todashev had been a friend of Tsarnaev and that both men had competed in mix martial arts. Like the Tsarnaev brothers, Todashev was an immigrant from the predominantly Muslim Chechnya region in Russia.
Agents told NBC News he had been cooperative at first, but later attacked an agent, who shot and killed him.
Tamerlan Tsarnaev was killed in an April 19 shootout with police while a fugitive from justice. His younger brother Dzhokhar, with whom he allegedly carried out the marathon attack and later led police on a chase, is in custody.
Most Popular Stories
- ecoATM Wins Green at LBA Sol Awards
- Can Barra Break GM's Losing Streak?
- Google Working on Pill to Search for Illnesses
- Marvel Unveils Slate of Films Through 2019
- FBI May Have Found 'Second Snowden'
- Lingerie, Partisanship Mark Fla. House Race
- IBM OK's $5 Billion Stock Buyback
- Grey Lady Ghost Appears at 'Game of Thrones' Site
- US Consumer Confidence Hit a High in October
- World Series Not Gripping to TV Viewers