An FBI agent has shot and killed a man who
allegedly had ties to deceased Boston Marathon bombing suspect
The shooting took place in Orlando, Florida, early Wednesday as an FBI agent and two Massachusetts police officers were interviewing the man in connection with the bombing investigation and "a violent confrontation was initiated by the individual," FBI spokesman Dave Couvertier said.
The man was killed and the agent was injured during the confrontation, he said. The incident was under investigation.
The FBI did not provide the man's name, but local media identified him as Ibragim Todashev, 27. He had not been a suspect in the bombing that killed three people and injured more than 250 on April 15.
A friend of the victim told local television stations that Todashev had been a friend of Tsarnaev and that both men had competed in mix martial arts. Like the Tsarnaev brothers, Todashev was an immigrant from the predominantly Muslim Chechnya region in Russia.
Agents told NBC News he had been cooperative at first, but later attacked an agent, who shot and killed him.
Tamerlan Tsarnaev was killed in an April 19 shootout with police while a fugitive from justice. His younger brother Dzhokhar, with whom he allegedly carried out the marathon attack and later led police on a chase, is in custody.
Most Popular Stories
- AIG to Create 230 Jobs in Charlotte
- Bipartisan Negotiators Reach Modest Budget Agreement
- Justin Bieber Visits Typhoon Victims, Plays Concert
- MasterCard to Split Shares, Raise Dividend
- Russia Says Nyet to Canada North Pole Claim
- Senate Dems Move Forward With Obama Nominees
- Obama Nominee Confirmed for D.C. Appeals Court
- New Obama Aide to Focus on Climate Change
- GOP, Dems Strain to Unearth a Modest Budget Pact
- Office Depot Moving HQ to Florida