An independent group must look into the IRS targeting of right-wing political
groups, U.S. Sen. Rand Paul has told a group of GOP donors in New Hampshire.
Commenting at a party fundraiser, Paul, R-Ky., said an Inspector General's report "makes it sound as if there was some sort of policy directive," the Boston Herald reported Tuesday.
"There's going to have to be an independent analysis of this, either an independent commission or something to look at this, because I think frankly people are losing their trust in their government," he added.
Paul said it was difficult to believe the White House was not aware of the targeting before the 2012 election.
"People within the IRS have known this for a year and a half," he said.
"Frankly I don't think there's anything more un-American than taking the power of the government and abusing your political opponents with it," Paul added. "I think that's why you're seeing such an outpouring against this."
Most Popular Stories
- Boehner Lashes Out Against Ted Cruz, Far Right
- TFA Recruiting DACA Recipients
- Bitcoin or Bad Coin? Warnings Mount Against Virtual Currency
- Cheap Gas Drives Down U.S. Wholesale Prices Again
- Expanding Medicaid Creates Jobs: Study
- Producer Price Index Dropped in November
- Robert Levinson Was on CIA Mission
- Hawaii Official Who Release Obama Certificate Only Victim of Plane Crash
- Beyonce Releases New Album With No Marketing
- 'Dreamers' Hope for Permanent Immigration Status