It took the IRS scandal to finally bring warring House leaders together in a
rare display of bipartisanship.
In the latest example, the Democratic and Republican leaders of the House Ways and Means Committee said that the IRS lied to their committee in recent testimony about allegations the tax agency has been targeting conservative groups critical of the president.
In a letter to IRS Acting Commissioner Steven T. Miller, Chairman Dave Camp, R-Mich., and ranking Democrat Sander Levin, D-Mich., detailed examples in which Miller and his predecessor, Douglas Shulman, didn't come clean when asked about the political witch hunt.
In a statement, Camp said, "The IRS's repeated failure to be truthful is completely unethical and an embarrassment to this government. The fact that top level officials in the IRS were aware of this behavior and did nothing to address it is absolutely unacceptable and raises serious questions about the competence of those running this agency."
Levin added, "The American people must have the fullest confidence that organizations requesting tax exemption receive completely unbiased treatment from the Internal Revenue Service and are never singled out by name or political views. They must also be assured that the IRS will be nothing less than completely forthcoming in the information it provides to Congress. The nation deserves a complete understanding of this matter. Chairman Camp and I have agreed it is essential that there be a thorough and bipartisan investigation and effective remedial action."
Most Popular Stories
- Apple Wants Samsung to Pay $22M for Patent Dispute Legal Bills
- Twitter Coming to Phones Without Internet
- NASA Fellowships, Scholarships Bring Diversity to Workforce
- Dish Network Leads 2013 Top 50 Advertisers List
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Jobs Report Brings Cheer As Unemployment Drops to Five-year Low
- Entravision Initiates Quarterly Cash Dividend
- Starbucks Gets Grinchy; No Gingerbread Lattes for Tampa Customers
- Warner Bros. Unleashes 'Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug' Merchandise