Internet veteran Yahoo Inc said on Monday it would pay 1.1 billion dollars for the blogging site Tumblr Inc.
Tumblr will continue to operate independently, Yahoo said.
Experts say the acquisition of Tumblr shows Yahoo's desire to attract younger users, especially in the 18-24 age bracket. The Tumblr acquisition would also give Yahoo a fast-growing social networking hub.
Founded in 2007 by entrepreneur David Karp, Tumblr allows users to write blogs and share picture and video content. The site hosts over one hundred million blogs.
Most Popular Stories
- Chinese May Have Spotted Malaysia Airlines Debris
- Why Buffett Bets Big on Green Energy
- 3 Shot Dead in Venezuela Unrest
- Banks Buying Little From Minority Firms: Study
- Better Pay Means Bigger Profits: Strategist
- Several Texas Cities Top Job Search List
- First-time Jobless Claims Drop Unexpectedly
- Senate Committee OKs Bill to Sanction Russia
- G7 Presses Russia to Pull Troops Out of Crimea
- Wall Street Rally Heads Off 3rd Day of Decline