Internet veteran Yahoo Inc said on Monday it would pay 1.1 billion dollars for the blogging site Tumblr Inc.
Tumblr will continue to operate independently, Yahoo said.
Experts say the acquisition of Tumblr shows Yahoo's desire to attract younger users, especially in the 18-24 age bracket. The Tumblr acquisition would also give Yahoo a fast-growing social networking hub.
Founded in 2007 by entrepreneur David Karp, Tumblr allows users to write blogs and share picture and video content. The site hosts over one hundred million blogs.
Most Popular Stories
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Hispanic Groups Lead Voter Registration Drive
- Eva Mendes Gives Birth to a Baby Girl
- Fed Signals It Will Keep Key Rate at Record Low
- Stocks Rise Before Fed Statement
- Occupy Wall Street Buys Up Student Debt
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8