Internet veteran Yahoo Inc said on Monday it would pay 1.1 billion dollars for the blogging site Tumblr Inc.
Tumblr will continue to operate independently, Yahoo said.
Experts say the acquisition of Tumblr shows Yahoo's desire to attract younger users, especially in the 18-24 age bracket. The Tumblr acquisition would also give Yahoo a fast-growing social networking hub.
Founded in 2007 by entrepreneur David Karp, Tumblr allows users to write blogs and share picture and video content. The site hosts over one hundred million blogs.
Most Popular Stories
- Bundy Ranch Standoff Has Spurred Radical Right
- Emmys: 'Orange' Marks Break From Sitcoms
- Repubs to Sue Obama for Delaying Obamacare
- Thousands of Children Dragged Into U.S. Political Bickering
- Fed Vice Chair Fischer: Care Needed to Avoid Crisis
- Collegefeed Connects Grads and Jobs
- Dems Float Long-Shot Effort to Curb Campaign Cash
- Union Pulls Support of UNCF Over Koch Gift
- Portugal Bank Fears Spark Selloff
- Border Crisis Could Lead to Faster Deportations