In a rare reversal of a long-standing trend, gas prices in the
Sacramento area and throughout California remained stable last week while the
rest of the nation saw a significant increase.
The average retail price of gasoline in the area rose about a penny over the past week to $3.97 a gallon, according to today's report by national price tracker GasBuddy.com, which surveys 720 stations in the area.
Statewide, GasBuddy said today's average is $4.04, also up a penny from last week's $4.03.
Sacramento prices are now 27.5 cents lower than they were a year ago but 15.7 cents higher than a month ago.
Nationally, the average price of gas rose nearly 9 cents to an average of $3.67 a gallon -- up 16.6 cents from last month and 3 cents below a year ago.
Patrick DeHaan, senior petroleum analyst for GasBuddy, said "the last seven days have delivered some shocks at the pump for motorists in the nation's Midwest. I don't believe I've ever seen gasoline prices in the Midwest surpass California. Areas of Nebraska, Minnesota, Oklahoma, North and South Dakota and Kansas have done that.
"Gas price records in these areas aren't being quietly replaced; they're being blown out of the water."
Energy analysts pointed to outages at key refineries serving the Midwest region. A corresponding drop in the supply of motor vehicle gasoline set off the price spikes.
(c)2013 The Sacramento Bee (Sacramento, Calif.)
Visit The Sacramento Bee (Sacramento, Calif.) at www.sacbee.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Defends Global Cellphone Tracking Legality
- Top Websites for U.S. Hispanics
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Apple Wants Samsung to Pay $22M for Patent Dispute Legal Bills
- Starbucks Gets Grinchy; No Gingerbread Lattes for Tampa Customers
- Apple Paid Its Lawyers More Than $60MM to Defeat Samsung in Court
- Jobs Report Brings Cheer As Unemployment Drops to Five-year Low
- Economic Bright Spots Not a Sure Boost for President Obama
- US Consumer Borrowing Rose $18.2B in Oct.